How long do Blackberries have to macerate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I'm doing a Blackberry wine and after I had to add some sugar to bring the gravity up, the cap is basically at the top of my 6 gal brew bucket and I'm scared to leave it alone. The airlock hole keeps getting clogged with fruit bits, so a blow off tube won't help. I've put a sanitized t-shirt over the top of the bucket and wrapped it with a bungie cord. The temperature dropped last night so fermentation slowed down, but I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before the fruit cap starts pressing against the shirt and then I'm worried about fruit flies (I saw some on the counter around the bananas).

So my question is, Can I pull the berries out without taking away too much from the wine (It's only been 3 days)? I have about 20lbs of fruit so I'm thinking if I take it out then I'll have alot more space in the bucket. I was going for a sort of blush wine anyway but I don't want the flavor to be too weak.

Thanks Yooper. Yeah I have been stirring a few times per day, I think it's just a case of I put too much stuff in the bucket. I got home tonight and it was bulging the shirt so I scooped about 2 quarts of the fruit out. I still felt lots of fruit floating around so I'm guessing I didn't take too much out. It was a white t-shirt and I think I might save it, it made the coolest tie dye pattern on it:fro: I put the bucket lid back on it with the airlock so I'll just keep an eye on it.

Latest posts

Back