Burner throwing a lot of soot.. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solavirtus

Reaction score
I'm using a pretty standard turkey fryer propane burner, and it worked well for the last 25 batches. About 5 or so batches ago, I noticed it was throwing a ton of soot onto the kettles, and the flame is very tall and yellow, not the nice mostly blue flame we're looking for.

I haven't gotten around to cleaning it yet, so that's the first thing I'm going to try to do to fix it. Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to do it? I figure taking it apart and just cleaning the cast iron burner head is the way to go, but what to clean it with?

Aside from that, I'm not all that convinced the problem is that the burner is dirty. I have opened up air flow vent all the way, and messed with it a little, without great results. What else could be wrong with the burner? I've used 2 or 3 different propane tanks, producing the same results, so it isn't likely something to do with that. I've always used the same regulator, the one that came with the kit.

Suggestions greatly appreciated. :confused:

Bugs can climb up into the throat of the casting and block airflow. Spiders can make webs, etc.... If you keep the burner out in a garage or shed this is likely your problem.

Use compressed air and a dry brush to blow out and clean out any dust, dirt, or detritus you find inside the casting.

Then re-adjust the air miuxture vanes to the bluest flame you can get.

boilovers getting sugars inside that burn into a crispy residue can also clog them up.

clean it out, it'll make things better.

Also, Check/clean the orifice to make sure it's not clogged. Some burners have tiny screens (filter) that get clogged too. You shouldn't need to run it with the air adjustment wide open. I find mine works best with it closed as much as it can. Nice blue flame with a hint of orange on the tip. Cheers, and Happy Brewing!!!

thanks all, good ideas. Where is the orifice that you're talking about? (that's an awkward question to ask)

If this is a cone style burner, they tend to collect a bit of rust which results in the sooty flames. Just disassemble it and take a wire brush to it, paying particular attention to the flutes/veins.

Check at the end where the burner connects to the propane tank hose. There is a bell shaped cast part that has an adjustable endcap with two or so large holes in it and a screw holding that cap to the burner.

Start the flame going and rotate that endcap until the burner burns blue.. there may be some yellow/orange tips.. but the flame should be essentially blue.

Go HERE and scroll down to the bottom of Page 3, Left hand column to see what I'm talking about. Doesn't make any difference if your's is Masterbuilt or not.. most work the same.

Good luck....

Thanks for all the advice! I took apart the burner a bit and brushed and blew off all the soot and anything that might have been clogging it up. After that, pretty blue flames with little yellow/orange tips. Just what I was hoping for.

As far as cleaning out the gas line leading into the burner head, it really didn't look like it would be easily disassembled, so I left it alone. I hope I never have to mess with that part. Seems like it would be a PITA.

thanks all, looking forward to not covering my kettle with soot each brew day.

Oh, and the awkward questions was just referring to finding orifices. Excuse my poor locker room humor.

Back