Flocculating yeast + Wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a wheat beer soon, and I was wondering if there's any adverse effects for not using a non-flocculating yeast strain. (Hah, how's that for a double negative.)

I would like to try some of the Nottingham ale yeast I have already. Since it is a flocculating yeast will it clear all the haze out of the wheat beer?

From their website:
Danstar Premium Beer Yeasts - The Dry Yeast Advantage
Microbiological Properties

• Classified as Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
• A top fermenting yeast.
• The typical analysis of the active dried strain:
Percent solids 93%–95%
Living yeast cells 5 x 109 per gram of dry yeast
Wild yeast < 1 per 106 yeast cells (Lysine method)*
Bacteria < 1 per 106 yeast cells*
• Finished product is released to the market only after passing a rigorous series of tests.
*According to ASBC and EBC methods of analysis.

Brewing Properties

• Quick start to fermentation, which can be completed in 4 days above 17°C.
• High attenuation, reaching a final gravity near 1008 (2°P).
• Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation is dependent on inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and the nutritional quality of the wort.
• Shows flocculation at completion of fermentation, and settling is promoted by cooling and use of fining agents and isinglass.
• The aroma is slightly estery, almost neutral and does not display malodours when properly handled. Because of flocculation, it may tend to slightly reduce hop bitter levels.
• Best when used at traditional ale temperatures after rehydration in the recommended manner.
• Lager-style beer has been brewed with Nottingham, however low fermentation temperature requires adaptation of the pitching rate to ensure proper attenuation."
"

Wheats and Hefeweizens are strongly depended on the yeast for their flavors. Wheat yeasts will flocculate more than a Hefeweizen yeast.

That confused me too, but regardless, a wheat beer 'can' be clear. It's usually achieved via filtering though.

You won't have the exact same taste, obviously. But unless you are entering it into a competition it doesn't matter. It will still be a beer with wheat, and thus, a wheat beer. It won't taste bad or anything.

The wheat itself will add some haze, so even with a highly flocculating yeast, you won't have a totally clear beer.

With that said, at least 50% of the taste of most wheat beers comes from the yeast, especially given that they're hopped less. You can use a "neutral" yeast, but you might wind up with a slightly boring beer.

You would be surprised how clear a wheat can get in the keg. A few weeks ago, I was joking that the clearest beer I had was a hefe.

Back