New Project Idea: portable 3-tap wooden kegorator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mischief_Brewing

Reaction score
I love the trashcan kegorators and have been leaning toward building one of those for a while now. But something just rubs me the wrong way about the trashcan (probably because I don't want my beer associated with trash). So I'm contemplating building a wooden box with two wheels and a handle so it can be moved hand-truck style. I would frame it with 2x4s and cover the outside with thin plywood, and line the inside with 2" thick insulation board. I could design it to perfectly fit 3 pinlock kegs (it's what I have spare for this project) and a 5# CO2.

I still need to figure out the logistics of the wheels and figure out if it would support all that weight (don't see why not since those trashcans seem to handle it ok).

My biggest hangup right now is figuring out how to manage the ice issue, especially the melted runoff. I'm going to need a spigot at the bottom for draining that off, and will need to figure a way to seal the water off from the wood, or seal the wood sufficiently to where it doesn't matter.

So DIY people, hit me with your best. Think it's possible? Worthwhile? Or should I just go buy a $58 trashcan and spraypaint it black...?

Of course its possible especially if you have any sort of wood working ability. But yes it will most likely be more expensive than a trash can set up. You just have to ask your self will spending the $$$ be worth it considering how many times you will be using it. In regards to the waterproofing thats simple, there are tons of products out there at your local home depot for this. Look in the tile section for some red gaurd if you dont mind the inside being red.

Of course its possible especially if you have any sort of wood working ability. But yes it will most likely be more expensive than a trash can set up. You just have to ask your self will spending the $$$ be worth it considering how many times you will be using it. In regards to the waterproofing thats simple, there are tons of products out there at your local home depot for this. Look in the tile section for some red gaurd if you dont mind the inside being red.

I'm wondering if it would be much more expensive...

Thinking about it in parts:
- wheels and axle = $?? (I'm guessing I could swing this for about $20?)
- 2x4s = $8
- plywood = $8
- hinges for lid = $2
- black paint = $6
- insulation board = $32 (likely a cost for both, but definitely necessary for the wooden one)
- sealant = $10

So the wood version would be around $84 and the garbage can version would be $64 (just priced some cans on home depot.com) plus a possible $32 for the insulation...

Is there something I'm missing? I guess some additional wood for the handle...

Edit: Just found this for less than $30
afe6a88d-90ef-4a80-b6d7-a48bcf016e02_300.jpg

That would solve both the handle and the wheels.

Thinking I would build the dolly into the box so only the wheels and the top handle showed. Since I plan to paint it black, I could easily cover any gaps with caulk and paint over it...

Another question would be should I build a coffin on top or go the front-tap route and build a wooden drip tray (lined of course)?

Just had a great thought! I could build it as an actual coffin shape! But how would I make it open for access to the kegs?

I say go for it then. I was not trying to talk you out of it either cause im the type of person that would rather build something even if it was more expensive just to say I made it as opposed to buying it. Good luck with it and post some pics.

I say go for it then. I was not trying to talk you out of it either cause im the type of person that would rather build something even if it was more expensive just to say I made it as opposed to buying it. Good luck with it and post some pics.

I totally appreciate the feedback. It forced me to look at some pricing and I ended up finding the dolly for $29! Then I got the inspiration to try and make the damn thing a coffin!

I'm contemplating gutting a free dorm fridge somebody gave me last year and avoiding ice altogether, but I know I'll run into a transportation problem since I don't have a truck. I'd have to leave it unplugged for a day or so after laying it down to get it to its various destinations...

Although I could always make the refrigeration removable somehow so it could remain upright in the car...

Incorporating the fridge will take the portability away. You'll have to give a good 24 hours before plugging it in, and then several more hours to actually cool after that. I'd stick with the ice chest. For the coffin you could make the top half of the front a door. The bottom half should be sufficient space to hold enough ice. Remember only the bottom of the keg needs to be cold. This would allow you room to load/unload kegs as well.

How 'bout buying a rectangular cooler on wheels, then just build something out of wood to put over the kegs and rest on the cooler edge? You could make some kinda sweet coffin style kegerator and still use the cooler as a mashtun....:mug:

Why not just build something around the trashcan to hide the fact that it's a trash can? Just think of the trash can as the inner tub of your cooler. My trash can was $18 at wal-mart and can hold 4 kegs if the Co2 is outside of the can.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-take-rolling-trashcan-kegerator-201672/

This is exactly what I would suggest. Get a cheapo trash can that you can use as an inner liner so that you know it won't leak. Build a box around it, and set the whole thing on some heavy duty casters.

Don't worry about getting fancy with the insulation. I wrap my trashcanerator with a few old tarps and I've never had a problem holding temps over the course of a hot summer day.

Don't put in a drain, a drain is just a place that it could leak from. The worst thing that could ever happen with a mobile kegerator is a leak. Not only will you look sloppy and kill any cool points you had, but you have the potential to put 10+ gallons of water on the floor. 10 gallons of water goes a long way. Put a hinge on one side of your wooden box so that you can remove the can and just dump it out. Besides, you won't really have any runoff. Even in 90 degree heat you should just be able to add ice to replace what melted. You should never have to dump water to add more ice in a single day.

Latest posts

Back