No time to search. Need quick starter help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
Sorry guys. I'm too busy to search right now, but I have to get my starter going for Friday's brew. I usually use one cup of DME to four cups of water, but my HBS is out of DME. I have 2.2 lbs of LME. How much, by weight preferably, do I use?

Thanks guys.

LME is about 37ppg. So for a 1.040 starter in a pint of water you would use 2.16oz (by weight) of LME. So, 2oz (by weight) would be good.

By weight or by volume?

By weight.

I would use about 25% more LME.

I was measuring the DME by volume but I need to measure the LME by weight.

LME is about 37ppg. So for a 1.040 starter in a pint of water you would use 2.16oz (by weight) of LME. So, 2oz (by weight) would be good.

Two ounces of LME to four cups of water then? Seems kind of small, but I'll give it a go. Many thanks.

Seeing that I have over two pounds of this stuff, what's the best way of preserving it for later brews? Refrigerator or freezer?

Two ounces of LME to four cups of water then? Seems kind of small, but I'll give it a go. Many thanks.

That was for a pint. I thought you were doing a pint starter, didn't see the "4 cups" in your original post.

My LHBS guy says you need aprox 20% more lme than dme by weight for recipes as a general rule I would think the same thing would apply for a starter.

[FONT=&quot]*%^$(&^)*&^
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!

I bought the wrong *&^%*^&% stuff! I bought malt GLUCOSE. What the %^*&^T am i going to do with malt freakin' glucose???? This is the SECOND time I messed up with this batch!!!! :mad:

Thanks for your input guys, but it's plan B. Flyguy had suggested in another thread to do a stove top mini-mash with my bag of crushed grain. It's a really good idea so I guess I'll be going with that. Here's the problem now. I've been pushing a few back already and I don't have the french press he suggested here [/FONT] https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=735461#post735461

I'll give it a shot by mashing some grains in a pot on the stove and sparging with some cheesecloth. I don't know if Beersmith will do such a small batch so I'll have to do some math to scale my recipe down far enough to make a gallon. Geez, had I known I would have to do that, I would have been more careful with my intake tonight.

I don't normally indulge so much on a weekday, but my recently turned 18 year old son went to the liquor store today to buy himself some beer. He came home with two Kilkenny Irish Red ales and a Guinness. I was already so proud I could spit when he told me that he bought one of the Kilkenny ales for me. So naturally we put those back and started on the homebrew.

That's my boy. :eek:

Back