EXTREMELY fast fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have searched and most times an extremely fast ferment is attributed to high wort temperatures. I brewed Jamils blond and pitched on a yeast cake from a previous batch of the same beer. Wort cooled to 67 degrees or so and drained onto the cake at about 4PM.. within a half hour I had kraussen...within an hour or two it was going crazy...next morning the kraussen had fallen. I took a gravity reading that afternoon and it was at the expected FG...so less than 24 hours with controlled temps. Will this negatively affect the beer? I have already been told in another thread that the entire yeast cake was a mistake

You pitched onto a cake? Of course it went fast, since there was no need for the yeast to reproduce before going at your wort. It's probably fine, but it may be a bit thin and it'll definitely lack the ale esters you'd normally get.

Back