BIAB All Grain Success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstarner

Reaction score
Brewed a 2.5 gallon all grain batch of Irish Stout on Tuesday afternoon. Recipe is as follows.

2 lb 8 oz Maris Otter
8 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Crystal 120
4 oz Flaked Barley
4 oz Black Malt

1 oz Kent Goldings (60 min)

Pitched Wyeast Irish Ale and half a pack of Nottingham to speed up fermentation. I actually overshot my OG because I got >80% efficiency and ended up adding some water to get the beer down to what I had planned (planning on this being a session beer for a late St. Pat's celebration with some buddies). Tested the gravity last night as it had stopped bubbling and it's spot on with the calculated FG!

Waiting a few days to bottle but I am extremely pumped as I have been an off and on extract w/ specialty grains and partial mash brewer for a few years. I could only do the 2.5 gallon because of my pot sizes but planning on getting another 5 or 8 gallon pot for my next batch and going 5 gallon batch.
Should I have any problems transitioning to a larger size? I calculated my strike temp, let soak for an hour (stirred every 15), sparged for 20 minutes. Basically followed Deathbrewers instructions. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated for me going forward.

Taste it before you bottle it up...

The amount of specialty grains you used would have been good in a 5 gallon batch... Could be over-powering in a 2.5 gallon batch...

I also wouldn't take it off the yeast until at least 2 weeks from start of fermenting. Not sure I like the idea of pitching two yeasts like that. One of them probably would have been perfect for the small batch.

I would highly recommend running a recipe through software before you make another... Your percentages of dark grains is over the top. With that much roasted barley (especially) you could be looking at a very strong coffee flavor in the brew. Were you looking for that? Normally roasted barley maxes out at 10%, you're at 12.5%.

Be interested to know where you got the recipe on this one, or how you came up with it...

For pot sizes, I would get 32-40 quart pots for full 5 gallon batches. That way you won't be so limited in the grain bill.

Back