How often should I check my Specific Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
How often should I be checking my specific gravity? I know the game is all about patience but I can not just sit by and wait. I need to do something...lol

Maybe I will start a new batch every night to keep my mind off of the batches that I have in the primaries.

I usually check mine when I'm transferring it to the secondary, around 7-10 days. If I don't know the expected Final Gravity, I check it on days 8, 9, and 10 to make sure it is done fermenting.

Jesterday said:
Maybe I will start a new batch every night to keep my mind off of the batches that I have in the primaries.

This seems like the best plan to me!
I don't bother with checking until at least day 10. Even if fermentation is done, it's not finished until the yeast has cleaned up after the party.

I check mine before I pitch the yeast, and when I keg. I always ferement 2 weeks or longer, so I don't bother to do any measurements in between.

I keep a paper log on the fermenter while fermenting. I write down all the notes.

After taking and recording the OG reading I will divide that by 4 (for a projected 75% attenuation). This way I know what the target number should be instead of calculating it at the time of the reading. I'll take another reading in a week to 10 days.

I record it like this:

Temp: 68F
OG: 1.051 (12.75)

If my gravity reading is near, at, or below my projected FG (12-13) I'll rack for clearing. ;)

I"m less patient than these guys, but I almost always have an OG under 1.050 so it should ferment quickly.

Since I assume I can go to secondary after 7 days, I take my first "is it done" reading on day 5. If its close, I take another on day 7 and if it ain't moved and is close to my estimated final gravity, I rack to secondary.

if it doesn't get a secondary, it'll stay in primary at least 3 more days to flocculate.

I only check when transferring. Check once when I pitch, once when I transfer to secondary, and once when I keg. No point I see for checking otherwise, unless you are brewing HG and need to be keeping tabs on your yeasty beasty's activity.

malkore said:
I"m less patient than these guys, but I almost always have an OG under 1.050 so it should ferment quickly.

Since I assume I can go to secondary after 7 days, I take my first "is it done" reading on day 5. If its close, I take another on day 7 and if it ain't moved and is close to my estimated final gravity, I rack to secondary.

if it doesn't get a secondary, it'll stay in primary at least 3 more days to flocculate.

This is a short time in Primary in my book..Why not give it another week once u reach your final gravity and than trasnfer? 2 days after completion of fermentation is very inpatient.

just my 2 cents..

I measure after 2 weeks in primary and than trasnfer to keg or secondary..depending on style.

Jay

I'm assuming that most of these responses are in reference to ale yeasts, right?

I've been checking after a week, and if I don't feel it is done I'll try again a few days later. I also check when racking to secondary and to the bottling bucket. Once in the carboy secondary I leave it alone since I don't have any good method for taking a sample anyway. I've been meaning to buy a turkey baster.

Back