Why Not To Use Campden Tablets In JAOM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shhh

Reaction score
Ok , so I use Campden tablets and Potassium Sorbate when I rack my "regular" meads. Both for stabilzing and for protection from bacteria growth.

But for JAOM:

P. Sorbate may not be necessary because the bread yeast should be overcome and stabilized.

So my question is this , Why wouldnt the campden tablets be used to protect the JAOM from bacteria and oxidation ?

What makes JAOM so special that I can just bottle it and age it without Campden ?

Why is Campden necessary for other meads ?

Ok , so I use Campden tablets and Potassium Sorbate when I rack my "regular" meads. Both for stabilzing and for protection from bacteria growth.

But for JAOM:

P. Sorbate may not be necessary because the bread yeast should be overcome and stabilized.

So my question is this , Why wouldnt the campden tablets be used to protect the JAOM from bacteria and oxidation ?

What makes JAOM so special that I can just bottle it and age it without Campden ?

Why is Campden necessary for other meads ?

It's not really necessary at all for other meads- just extra insurance as an antioxidant and preservative. JOAM isn't meant to be aged long- it's relatively low alcohol, and not a long-term prospect.

It's not really necessary at all for other meads- just extra insurance as an antioxidant and preservative. JOAM isn't meant to be aged long- it's relatively low alcohol, and not a long-term prospect.

Ok thank you. I think I'de feel more comfortable using them since its already part of my S.O.P. Since no ill effects are to be had , no harm no foul.

I like the idea of the extra insurance.

Campden tablets are mainly used to stun wild yeasts and while they do seem to have slight anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties, there is little point in adding something that isn't necessary. The best anti-bacterial is the alcohol itself.

You'll find that JAO gets to about the 10 to 12% area which is usually plenty to preserve the batch and the sulphites aren't needed to stun the yeast, as its already popped out......

Back