fresh vs frozen blackberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I had an opportunity to compare fresh blackberries to frozen (the last of the 2009 crop), not in a brew, but in a very simple blackberry cobbler. Since the berries are not mixed with anything, no sugar, starch or binder; this is a dish where the berries stand on their own. Even though they got baked for 45 minutes, the fresh berries weren't anywhere as good. The frozen berries had more flavor, gelled better, and gave a more uniform result.

This year, I'm going to keep the Oregon Evergreens separate from the Himalayans, so I can compare the two. Fresh, the Oregons are the winner. Not as sweet, but much more flavorful. Downside is I have about 20 times as many Himalayan canes, so they will have to do from the cider and beer. I plan on a batch of cider with just blackberries, not apple juice or sugar. Last year's blackberry wine is doing well, but I'd like something with a lower ABV.

Latest posts

Back