Two Brother Hop Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
If you have not had this..man it is great. All Amarillo and at 9.9% ABV(i believe) this baby is sooooo dammmm good it makes me crazy they only make it once a year and it just disapears the shelves.

OK recipe...9.9% 100 IBU

Amarillo hops..they say 1 # per barrel..so 8 ounces per 5 gallons?
caramel notes and they say brown sugar ....

so
15# 2 row
1 # Crystal 40L
2 # light brown sugar
Amarillo like crazy!!

I would say 2 maybe 3 ounces dry hop for 2 maybe 3 weeks.

2 ounces 60 min
2 ounces 20..1oz 15 1oz 10 min 1oz 5 minutes??

OG 1.1
FG 1.023
SRM 10(amber in color..but not sure crystal backbone gives this but anything else?

10% ABV 100-105 IBU

Any one else have this beer and have any thoughts? For 9.9%ABV it is very drinkable and man Amarilllo is so damm good:D

Jay

I was at the Two Brothers brewery / Brew Pub last week - good stuff!!! I live in Wheaton, just a short trip down the road.

Can't help with the recipe, though... figured i'd just chime in so you didn't have a lonely thread just hanging out here.
:mug:

If your recipe works out, though, let me know!!

I had this beer two or three years ago. The only thing I remember is that it was very good.

Here is your recipe in Beer Tools Pro to see how it worked out.

Hop Juice Clone?
14-C Imperial IPA
Author: Discgolfin

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 345.41 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.102 (1.070 - 1.090)
Terminal Gravity: 1.026 (1.010 - 1.020)
Color: 16.6 (8.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 10.23% (7.5% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 133.7 (60.0 - 120.0)

Ingredients:
15.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.0 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
2.0 lb Light Brown Sugar
2.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
2.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
2.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2

Where did you hear that it was all amarillo ? Did they tell you that at the brewery? I'm kinda of surprised because I would have never guessed that. Hop Juice always reminded me a great deal of Dreadnaught, even in the nose. I know Dreadnaught is heavily cascade and simcoe dry hopped. I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're right I am pissed at my nose for leading me astray. Please let us know how that clone works out; if it is a winner I would certainly like to brew it.

I am pretty sure its not all amarillo also. IIRC the kid working in the brewers coop there told me they bittered with summit.

If you want the recipe, just email them and ask. They started out as homebrewers and they like to help homebrewers, so they provide their recipe to anyone that asks. I got their recipe for Cane & Ebel and their American mild by emailing them after taking the brewery tour a few months ago.

Their email address is [email protected]

I could get it becasue I know the head brewer..I'm just not sure if he wants to share/.....and as for aroma and flavor he said it was all amarillo..but summit to bitter makes sense..but late aditions and dry hop was all amarillo.

Jay

Oh man... Even if it's *not* All Amarillo, I might have to brew one that *is* all Amarillo just because I loves that hop so much. If I ever find myself in Ill I will certainly look for this beer! Sounds great!

We love this beer. bought both cases from store this year and only half barrel available last. Going to try and brew something similar this weekend. will use some ideas here. thanx

If you want the recipe, just email them and ask. They started out as homebrewers and they like to help homebrewers, so they provide their recipe to anyone that asks. I got their recipe for Cane & Ebel and their American mild by emailing them after taking the brewery tour a few months ago.

Their email address is [email protected]

Any chance you could post the recipe for the Cain and Ebel? Been searching for it but can't seem to find it.

I brewed a slight variant of discgolfins OP recipe on new years eve and I just measured the FG at 1.006 (OG 1.090) for an ABV of 11.2%. It tastes fantastic and can't wait to taste it carbonated. What's the ideal level of carbonation for this beer?

I used some columbus to bitter and did a 90 minute boil with 8 ounces of amarillo. Hope schedule was:

2 oz columbus (90 min)
2 oz amarillo (60 min)
2 oz amarillo (20 min)
2 oz amarillo (10 min)
2 oz amarillo (flameout)

Dry hopped 3 days in with:
0.5 oz simcoe
1.0 oz columbus
2.0 oz amarillo

Drunkatuw, did you say you had the recipe fr Cane and Ebel? Can you post that on this thread or email it to me? I'm crazy about that beer and would love to try it out on my own. [email protected]
Thanks,
Dan

Grain:
US 2row 68%
Rye Malt 14%
Crystal 10 3.5%
Munich Malt 3%
Aromatic Malt 3%
Crystal Rye 3%
Black Malt .5%

Thai palm sugar 1/2 pound.

Hops
Addition 1 Summit and Columbus .2 ounces each
Addition 2 Summit and Columbus .2 ounces each
Addition 3 Simcoe .2 ounces
Dryhop Simcoe 1.5 ounces

Mash at 149F for 20 minutes
Boil 75 minutes
Add palm sugar at start of boil
Add first hops as you start to collect the runoff
Add second hops with 25 minutes left
Add third hops with 20 minutes left

2 problems here brah.

First you say they use 1# of hops per barrel...true..but also incorrect. they "DRY HOP" with 1 lb of hops per barrel. Also, not sure where you got your education in math, but there are 31 gallons of beer in 1 US Beer Barrel. Thus, 1 lb of hops in a barrel is roughly 2.66 oz of hops per 5 gallons...not 8 oz!!!

So what is the result of this recipe? Is it like Hop Juice? I love that beer and have tried emailing them and facebooking them and they do not respond.

Here is the recipe from Two Brothers themselves.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
18 lbs 11.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 89.6 %
1 lbs 1.4 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.2 %
8.7 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.6 %
8.7 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.6 %

0.565 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 90. Hop 5 20.6 IBUs
0.512 oz Amarillo Gold [10.30 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 6 13.8 IBUs
0.562 oz Amarillo Gold [10.30 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 7 14.8 IBUs
0.516 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 75. Hop 8 18.3 IBUs
0.537 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 60. Hop 9 18.3 IBUs
0.170 oz Amarillo Gold [10.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 4.3 IBUs
3.000 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.000 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Day Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

White Labs Scottish Ale Yeast

I am brewing it this month and will post results.

It was almost spot on at bottling time. I bottled and let condition for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, had no carbonation, so I cracked them open and added some yeast, and resealed. I waited another month and now they are carbed, but flavor has changed...and not for the better.

I think I may have F'd up when I opened them and added more yeast. Still drinkable, just not a spot on version. I am going to brew it again at some point and not screw it up, so hopefully then it will be an exact match.

I am going to try and have it ready for when hop-centric comes out in June.

I encourage someone else to try brewing it and post results. I let mine sit in the secondary for a long time and I think my yeast all pooped out and that is why I never got any carb until I added more. I now add cask and bottling yeast to all beers that are high alcohol or sat in the secondary for a long period of time.

Back