Yeast Strain Selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMonsters

Reaction score
I am planning my next ale and I want to use a different ale strain. I have used the S-04 SAFale yeast for like every brew I have done so far. Any suggestions on a different strain? I am making a honey amber ale. I could use the same yeast strain, just wanted some variety.

Suggestions are definitely appreciated!

I second the US-05 recommendation. I also hear good things about Nottingham.

there is a great variety of yeast. maybe if you told us what you tend to like in a beer and what commercial beers you are into then we could help you out better.

Nottingham kicks ass if you want dry yeast.

The sky's the limit for liquid yeast - search the suppliers' websites for a style that sounds appropriate.

For your Amber, you could use any of the English Ale strains, an American Ale strain, or, if you can ferment below 65, try a Cali Common for some interesting undertones.

They are kinda all the same if you are using dry IMO. Not as far as flavor, but the experience. Want a kick in the pants? Try paying an extra $4 and get some dry yeast. Then buy extra DME, take an extra day or 3 for the starter and waaalaaaa. You used liquid yeast. I felt the same way as you and needed to try something different, so I did this. I'll only use liquid for specialty brews from now on.

The S-04 seems like the righ tyeast for your brew. Make a hefe and try some liquid next time. Or a pale and some US-05 or Nottinghams. Just have fun!

If you want something estery try Windsor or S-33
Dry Nottingham, S-56 (S-05 now)
One that produces copious amounts of Diacetyl (in some brews people like this to a degree, I know Sam Smith's IPA has some Diacetyl on purpose) use Cooper's.
The T-58 they say has a 'Peppery' characteristic, I am not so sure of this (I haven't done a high-er ferment with it) but I really dig that yeast.
I did try the W-34/70 (morebeer sells it, the only one I know of because it is basically bought in bulk by them and repackaged for homebrewers) lager strain. Fermented on the nose @ 50 °F. Pretty much zero diacetyl (didn't do a rest), and there is a faint fruitiness as has been said about the strain).

For your Honey Amber you should try either the S-04, US-05 or the T-58 if you want to use a dry yeast.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll look into the American Ale or Nottingham ale. I have used the liquid yeast before, for my wheat. I have been using the dry and re-hydrating it and have had super consistent results. Maybe I'll try the liquid verison of the american ale?!

I don't want the honey amber to ferment out too dry. Maybe a light fruitiness from the yeast. I don't want a wheat! I've looked at the yeast profiles for strains, just wasn't sure what would be a good replacement to the S-04 that I have been using. Unfortunately I cannot ferment at colder temperatures right now, but I can definitely ferment at higher temperatures. Summer has hit here in the Northeast and my basement is at 70 - 72 F.

Back