irish moss.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoofaceJoe

Reaction score
did my 4th batch last night. first time to use irish moss. not sure if i did it right. put 1 oz in for last 15 min of boil. tried whirl pool method durring cooling. nothing settled out. there was a ton of particulate in the wort and it did not smell real good. i ended up straining it through a sanatized fine strianer and got a tun of green and brown slop out. checked air lock this morning after about 12 hours and absolutly no activity. did I kill this batch?

1 oz is too much. I usually use whirlfloc tablets but believe that you only need a teaspoon of Irish Moss. I think you will be fine though, give it 72 hours and RDWHAHB.

I actually use even less than that. I add a round 1/4 teaspoon with 15 minutes left, and I get a lot of particulate that separates out. Maybe I'd get better results with more--but I get good results with 1/4 tsp.

so i opened this beer up today and poured into a glass. great color, nice thick tall head. smelled great. nice hoppy start then...nothing. absolutly no malt character. tastes like hop flavored water. think i'll call it Hop Tea. guess the moss pulled out ALL of the protiens in the brew.

so i opened this beer up today and poured into a glass. great color, nice thick tall head. smelled great. nice hoppy start then...nothing. absolutly no malt character. tastes like hop flavored water. think i'll call it Hop Tea. guess the moss pulled out ALL of the protiens in the brew.

Doubt that the moss pulled out all the proteins. What did you make? Post the recipe, please. Did you change anything else in your brewing technique since your last brew?

here is the recipe. first time i made it came out good but not very clear. only changes I made second time were to add irish moss and HBS was out of crystal 90 L so they recomended substituting 10 oz 60 L, and tried dry hopping for first time 1 oz amarillo to secondary

1/4# biscuit malt
1/2# crystal 90L malt (substituted 10 oz 60 L)
1/2# munich malt
1/4# victory malt
7# LME
1 oz northern brewer bittering
2/3 oz willamette flavor
1/3 oz willamette aroma
1 0z irish moss 15 min boil
1 oz amarillo dry hopped secondary fermenter

1 hour boil
1 week primary
2 weeks secondary
3 weeks bottle

when i racked to secondary there was about 4 inches of muck on the bottom of fermenter and the same when bottled from secondary

Q#1: Did you dilute your wort to get 5 gallons?

Q#2: How long did you steep your grains, and at what temperature?

Q#3: What were your starting and finishing gravities?

Q#4: What yeast did you use? What fermentation temp?

i diluted wort to get 5 gallons, steeped grains for 25 min in 155 degree water, OG 1.050 FG 1.016, primary fermentation @ 70 degrees, secondary @ 66 degrees. california ale yeast P001 white labs.

Back