African Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
This guy at work that just started a few weeks ago is from Zimbabwe. I asked him what beers were popular in his country and he pointed me to a wiki.

It's a stretch, but does anyone know where one might find recipes for these brews?

Beer in Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zambezi is Zimbabwe's national beer, brewed by National Breweries on Manchester Road, Harare. It is made from malt, maize, hops and water, and is 4.7% abv.

Other major beers include Bohlingers, Lion, Eagle and South African Breweries' Carling Black Label and Castle.

Chibuku Shake Shake, so called by the need to shake the carton before drinking it, is brewed by Chibuku, and remains a popular beer in Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Malawi.

Doubt I'll go there and I don't think I can find it locally so why not try it by making it.

EDIT:: After looking at a website for the shake shake.. i dont think that would taste very good at all. bleh!

thanks
jake

One of the guys I work with is S African. I will ask him about it tomorrow and see what his opinions are about the local brews there.

Tusker is made in Africa and is quite common relatively speaking. I am sure you can find a clone for it and I am positive you can find it in a good beer garen.

Back