Saison Old White Farmhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonkl

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY3711 French Saison
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
WLP645 Brett. c.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days, 75-78 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days, 72 degrees
Additional Fermentation
Drinkable after normal carb conditioning, but condition as long as you can wait
Tasting Notes
Fruity, wheaty Belgian
I created this beer as a tribute to the eponymous farmhouse that my great grandfather built, that 3 generations of my family grew up in. Its a witbier, fermented with some Belgian funk. This is approachable and interesting at the same time, and gets really good the longer you let it condition in the bottle. (It was amazing at 6 months.)

I've brewed this recipe, with a few tweaks here and there, 3 or 4 times now, and it keeps me coming back.

2.5 gallon batch size, Currently at 57% Efficiency.

2 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 44.9 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 2 44.9 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.0 %
1.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.1 %
0.20 oz Centennial [9.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 11.9 IBUs
1.25 tsp Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 6 -
0.30 oz Cascade [6.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 7 3.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 ml] Yeast 8 -
1.0 pkg Brettanomyces Claussenii (White Labs #WLP645) [50.28 ml] [Add to Secondary] Yeast 9 -

Got my first medal with this one.

2lx9o3p.jpg

Congrats! That looks like the typical witbier grainbill.

Have you tried using any other yeast in combination with the Brett C.?

What does the Brett contribute with 3711 in this one?

I just brewed a wit grain bill with a farmhouse yeast (wyeast 3726). Glad to hear yours turned out. Makes me hopeful for mine. First hydro sample was a little lackluster, but its still eating away at those last few gravity points

I've brewed this with Belle Saison and, I think, WLP565 as well. It could just be that I had better temp control, but the 3724 seemed to give more of the typical earthy/peppery saison profile than the others. I also notice kind of a tart twang with it, as well.

The Brett C character tends to grow as it conditions, with a fairly distinct pineapple flavor, even with the 3724 chewing it down to 1.001. The earthy/spicy/twang and the pineapple seem to get along fairly well, and the fact that 3724 attenuates so well keeps the Brett from getting too overpowering.

I've got one more brew to do before I'm going to attempt this one. I've adapted the recipe a little to work with the ingredients I've got so I'm going with this for a 22L batch:

2.5kg Pilsner
1kg malted wheat
1kg flaked wheat
200g flaked oats
10g Coriander

I'm planning to hop with Celeia and Bobek

I've got a few different saison yeasts to hand and I'll probably do some with brett and some without depending on how many demijohns I've got spare at the time. I'm really looking forward to this one!

I'm going to try this either this week or next. Did you use and kettle finings at all or did you avoid that to make it more cloudy?

No finings in this one. It's supposed to be almost opaque.

But I'm pretty laid back when it comes to that sort of thing, anyway.

Latest posts

Back