Pumpkin Ale- Literally?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellmtbbq

Reaction score
I've read online that the precursor to pumpkin ale during colonial times was pumpkin beer, which was literally pumpkins used instead of malt, which was scarce in the Colonies. Would this stuff taste nasty? If I mixed in some roasted malts and some hops would it be better? (I roast my own specialities over open fire like in colonial times) Id love to make some colonial recipes, next month I'm trying Poor Richards ale.

You would need a ton of pumpkin to make a beer anywhere near todays abv%

lots of molassas is a given. Pumpkins, wheat, oats, apples, dirty socks, almost anything that would ferment was better than tainted water. Most would be nasty by todays standards.

Almost all modern specific recipes for duplicating ancient or colonial beer are guesses and wishful thinking because of so many variables. Note taking wasn't a priority in the quest to stop vomiting and diarrhea on a long term basis.

I might try to make a gallon- what the hell. I'd probably use a 50/50 ratio of malt and pumpkin juice, may end up with more of a wine then an ale. And backstrap molasses to boost the sugars. I'll absolutely post about it.. sounds interesting instead of doing a typical pumpkin ale.

Back