Flaked Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
I just ordered the Partial Mash Oatmeal Stout from Northern Brewer, it comes with 8 ounces of Flaked Oats.
I just noticed that the All Grain kit comes with 16 ounces.

I assume this is because too much flaked oats will cause sparging problems for the partial mash (2.5 lbs of grain vs 8 ounces of flaked oats, as opposed to 2.5# vs 1#). (there are also 4# of extract). The all grain kit is 1lb of flaked oats vs 9.5# grain.

Do you think this will have a big (negative ) impact on the beer? (8oz vs 16 oz)

Should I try adding some instant oatmeal to the partial mash? If so, do I just sparge more slowly, and maybe with a little more water?

So far I have only done extract brewing and this is my first step towards all grain. I read a thread here a while ago about all grain in a bag, and I would like to try that at some point.

Probably a little about the sparge, and a little about mashing so much adjunct grain with so little base malt.

Probably a little about the sparge, and a little about mashing so much adjunct grain with so little base malt.

Thak makes sense.
Do you think it will taste not as good with only 8 ounces of flaked oats?
(I guess I will soon find out).
Next time I will try the all grain to compare - provided the recipe tastes good.

NB uses Briess malt extracts in there kits. This kit specifically uses 3.15 Lbs Dark LME and 1 Lb Dark DME, both of which are made from the same grain bill, which contains Base Malt, Caramel 60L Malt, Munich Malt, & Black Malt. No oats in the Dark malt extracts.

Back