rusty caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

513hooligan

Reaction score
a buddy of mine gave me quite a few bottle caps to use that he didn't need. most of them were fine, but a number of them had the beginnings of rust. it wipes off with just a rub but i am worried about contamination. i know they are cheap but i'm not worried about cost. i don't want to just throw them away. would a rinse and sanitizing solution fix this? or should i not take the chance? thanks for any help. i'm just not a biochemist so i really don't know how badly it would affect the beer if at all.

I wouldn't...in fact I had left some too long in sanitizer and they rusted..I pitched them...I couldn't see why I'd risk anything...scroll down the screen you will see many similar threads on the same topic below..It's a new feature...and there's 4 threads asking the same thing...You can see what other people have to say about it.

:mug:

well in theory the caps seal w/ the "seal" inside the cap and therefore any rust would be external and not in contact w/ the brew. I would use them if they are all i had and i was in a jam.

That being said, as cheap as I am I might just toss em.

I am very frugal (read: cheap) and I would recycle them. Rust is a flavor that seems to stick out in very small quantities.

If you can get overruns they are cheaper than normal.

Back