newb problem, fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok, so my friend and I stumbled through an extract kit (our first one) on Thursday night. I sanitized the crap out of everything, got the yeast started alright and brewed everything. We pitched the yeast and set the fermenter in a spot that is around 67-70 degrees. on Friday the air lock was going gaingbusters, bubbling like mad. all is well I thought. yesterday the it appeared that the bubbling had stopped however and after checking here i decided to just relax and let the yeaties do their thing. well...that afternoon the fermenter had a cat related accident and the airlock came off and I im pretty sure some of the water went into the fermenter and the bubbling still had not returned from what I can tell.

am is SOL? or should I just relax?

relax, 99.99 percent sure you'll be ok, I've got water from the airlocks in my fermenter too, unless their was some nasty junk in that water, which I'm sure their was not, everything will be fine.

I use cheap vodka in my airlocks,leaned that here not too long ago.

It also helps that your fermentation already peaked, the more alcohol created makes it harder for any bacteria to create infection

The more you brew, the more you will be surprised at what you can do and still not screw up the beer.

You'll be all good, unless the cat crapped in the bucket at the same time. Then, well........

I am still new to brewing and was worried that after three days that something was wrong when fermentation had slowed you really had to look hard to see that something was going on. I think I found the post on hear and it said that after a few days that fermentation really slows down so just be patient and let it brew

Back