How to use these Whirlfloc tabs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmeadow

Reaction score
I bought some of these Whirlfloc tablets from a supplier I just discovered. He offered both these and the regular Irish Moss. Do you just throw one in your 5 gallon batch while it's brewing or what? Thought I'd try these--I'm always looking for the newer and possibly easier way to get things done.

I used one for the first time recently. I had seen in multiple places instructions to add them in the last 15 minutes of the boil, so I did. This batch of Amber Ale seems very clear in the better bottle, two weeks in.

Since then, I have seen advice (supposedly from the company that makes whirfloc) not to add them until 5 minutes before the end of the boil, more than 5 minutes makes them work less.

I called them a while back, and they stated that 1 tablet is good for 10 gallons. Therefore splitting them in half for 5 gallon batches is fine (and a whole tablet does not do any more good).

Also, they recommended no longer than 5 minutes in the boil.

Latest posts

Back