Dream come true

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrane

Reaction score
I work for a small university's biology department. Yesterday I got the green light from one of the micro geek profs to use her lab at my leisure over the summer. This lab contains two type 2 flow hoods, an autoclave and all the other toys necessary for sterile culture. I think thats worth two...:ban: :ban:

Task one will be teasing apart the Jolly Pumpkin community (Dexter has got some tasty little beasties!!)

Just looking for some ideas; FIRE AWAY

TheCrane said:
I work for a small university's biology department. Yesterday I got the green light from one of the micro geek profs to use her lab ...
Just looking for some ideas; FIRE AWAY

Maybe don't call her a micro-geek?

I grow a lot of my yeast in my lab, be careful autoclaving DME in water, it boils over and makes a sticky mess. Don't use YPD to grow beer yeast. It takes a long time to re-suspend yeast pellets after spinning them at 1,000rpm for 20 minutes. Thats all I can think of now...

ColoradoXJ13 said:
Don't use YPD to grow beer yeast.

Thanks for the input. What do you recommend as a medium? I plan on going after Saccharomyces and brett.

To help prevent boilovers, put the flask with your DME media in a tray of water in the autoclave. Also, don't put your stir bar in there before autoclaving. I found that really makes boilover issues much worse. I had figured, why not, that's one less step to worry about contamination. Once I stop autocalving the stir bar in situ, boilovers were less common. I store my stir bars in empty White lab vials filled with 70% isopropanol. I just drain the alcohol off into another tube and then dump the bar into the flask

TheCrane said:
Thanks for the input. What do you recommend as a medium? I plan on going after Saccharomyces and brett.

1g DME to 10mL H2O and some yeast nutrient (I use yeast extract which I believe is the same thing you buy from the LHBS)

pjj2ba said:
Once I stop autocalving the stir bar in situ, boilovers were less common.

Weird. Thanks for the heads up. Do either of you have experience with isolating pure strains?. I'd like to take some commercially produced, open and/or spontaneously fermented beers and isolate the various microbes present in the lees. Could you point me to some good resources on the subject? I do have some experience with inoculating plates and other sterile techniques. I am mainly interested in suggestions specific to identifying, isolating, and culturing various beer beasts.

TheCrane said:
Weird. Thanks for the heads up. Do either of you have experience with isolating pure strains?. I'd like to take some commercially produced, open and/or spontaneously fermented beers and isolate the various microbes present in the lees. Could you point me to some good resources on the subject? I do have some experience with inoculating plates and other sterile techniques. I am mainly interested in suggestions specific to identifying, isolating, and culturing various beer beasts.

When isolating strains, I usually take a bottle conditioned beer, pour off the beer, then swirl the bottle to suspend the sediment, then pour it into media and grow it. I did once plate the stuff on a YPD plate and pick a single colony, but I think this was a mistake. As much as many strains are "pure", in the case of this Witbier strain, I think it was a mix, and by only picking a single colony, I missed the other strain...

Back