Killed my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
I had my wife do the rehydration of the dry yeast for me and she pitched the yeast in like 190 degrees water accidentally. With me watching and all.

I have no back up yeast because that was my back up packet. So....

I'm screwed right?

OK, BigRob great idea...

The only thing I had fermenting was an American wheat in which was brewed yesterday so I was able to crop US-05 from the top. I'm confident in my sanitation and I have done it before. I got about 3 or 4 ounces maybe even 5 I'm not sure, plus I threw in the one I messed up as well. (Maybe I shouldn't have?)

Cross my fingers hope it's enough!

Thanks guys!

Note to self, always have enough spare packets!!!!

The dead yeast will just be food for the live ones, so it shouldn't muck anything up. Cropped from an actively fermenting beer will probably work out just about perfectly for this situation.

Time to relax and let it go to work.

the airlock is showing activity after 8 hours. Now the wait.....
:ban:

Cool. Good to hear everything worked out. I'm sure it'll be beer/great!

Cool. Good to hear everything worked out. I'm sure it'll be beer/great!

I'm not completely out of the woods yet but I hope so...:rockin:

I'm glad I posted on here because it would have never occurred to me on time.

Just a lesson. I ALWAYS have some sort of dry yeast on hand in case of some sort of Murphy's law, usually 3 packs of us-05 and 3 packs of Notty. Dry yeast is cheap and keeps for years, so no reason not to have some.

(yes I know you said that was your backup, but have back ups for the back ups!)

Wow, The little trick seamed to work because I just took an FG reading today to find it took it down to a 1.010! for the profile it should have been 1.017 but you know what this beer has been a project from the start. Looks like I mashed too high.

Should still be good beer, glad it worked out.

Latest posts

Back