Question about cold crashing and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldyote

Reaction score
Until now I have always used a secondary before bottling. I've decided to skip the secondary but would like to cold crash the primary.

Typically my primary would be sitting at some optimal yeast fermentation temp when I add the priming sugar . When I take my primary out of the fridge I'm guessing the temps will be in the 40s. Should I let the carboy warm up to room temperature before transferring to my bottling bucket and adding the priming sugar or can I bottle it at those colder temps?

The problem here is that you have no Idea what amount of CO2 is in the solution at 40 degrees, It could be as much as 1.5 volumes. You could add enough sugar to add another 2 volumes. Then you would be at 3.5 volumes very high for normal beer bottles. If you rise the temp back in to the 70 the dissolved CO2 should be less than 1, much less of an overall problem.

Back