Yeast Not Starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bush_84

Reaction score
Just wanted to know how long I should give it before pitching another yeast. I haven't double checked any of the batch numbers, but it was Nottingham, which I believe had a batch with some issues. But I pitched on Feb 15th. It is now the morning of the 18th and I see no airlock activity. I rehydrated my yeast is straight up water for 20 min then pitched. Checked the seal and that seems ok. It's in a BB and when I squeeze it affects the airlock, so the seal must be ok. I was thinking about repitching again tonight if no activity. Sound good?

What's your temp at? What did you pitch at? And...have you actually taken a hydrometer reading yet? Until you do that...I don't think I'd throw another pack just yet.

I had the same problem with my latest brown ale. Pitched Nottingham after cooling on brew day. 48 hours later, no sign of fermentation. Pitched another packet of Nottingham. 48 hours after that, still no sign of fermentation. Pitched a packet of Windsor. 12 hours later, airlock was bubbling like crazy. Go figure.

I am making a wine type drink and my must never got real hot. I'd say my must is at about 66-68 right now and I probably pitched my yeast at about 75 or so. Maybe there was a temperature shock associated with that.

I haven't had a chance to recheck the SG, but the OG was at about 1.070 or so (I wrote it down, but it's not in front of me). I'll recheck the SG tomorrow. I've been working 12 hour shifts since pitching the first yeast.

So this morning I went to double check my nottingham yeast batch #, and it does indeed match that of the bad batch. I have to rack my apple wine today so I'll get a quick SG reading on my troubled brew while I'm at it.

If it's indeed just the bad yeast, how much longer till I pitch something else?

So this morning I went to double check my nottingham yeast batch #, and it does indeed match that of the bad batch. I have to rack my apple wine today so I'll get a quick SG reading on my troubled brew while I'm at it.

If it's indeed just the bad yeast, how much longer till I pitch something else?

I say if you have that particular lot number, then go ahead and pitch a new pack now.

Well I pitched a new pack and it's really rocking now. I have sent my stuff back to the company hopefully to get a few new packets.

Back