Sam Adams Triple bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? I tried a bottle the other day and as hard as I tried...sip...wait...sip again, I just couldn't do it. That was the nastiest thing I've tasted in a long time!
It was like cooking sherry mixed with maple syrup. I had to dump it as much as I hated to get rid of a beer. Not typical of Sam Adams.

Tommy

Haven't had this beer in like 10 years. Thought the Chocolate Bock might've replaced it...I remember it being like a Port Wine, a real nice velvety sipper. Where/when did you find it?

I had one years ago, but couldn't finish it either. I drank mine too early and I bet that's what you did also. I think you're supposed to hold onto them for a while.

gaelone said:
Haven't had this beer in like 10 years. Thought the Chocolate Bock might've replaced it...I remember it being like a Port Wine, a real nice velvety sipper. Where/when did you find it?

It was given to me by someone I work with.
I'll have to see how long she had it.
I think it has been discontinued according to Beer Advocate, so it must be aged some. I checked the reviews at Beer Advocate and the word floating around the first couple of reviews was "vile":D

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/111
Tommy

Personally, I think SA is way overrated. I've sampled their beers and haven't found one to my liking yet:(...of course, I was spoiled by living in Germany for 9 years so I know what the real thing is supposed to taste like sans American conversion/sustitutions for profits sake.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
Personally, I think SA is way overrated. I've sampled their beers and haven't found one to my liking yet:(...of course, I was spoiled by living in Germany for 9 years so I know what the real thing is supposed to taste like sans American conversion/sustitutions for profits sake.:D

uh-huh. I know what you're saying. I do owe a debt to SA Boston Lager, because it introduced me to good beer. But I'm totally bored and unimpressed by it these days. All of their beers I've tried are just blah to me. and I've tried most of them.

I bought their Brewmaster's collection this friday and it was mainly bad. I did enjoy the honey ginger ale. It was pretty refreshing. The Porter was way too sweet, the Dark Wheat was OK, but lacked character, the Root Beer was undrinkable!

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
uh-huh. I know what you're saying. I do owe a debt to SA Boston Lager, because it introduced me to good beer. But I'm totally bored and unimpressed by it these days. All of their beers I've tried are just blah to me. and I've tried most of them.

I bought their Brewmaster's collection this friday and it was mainly bad. I did enjoy the honey ginger ale. It was pretty refreshing. The Porter was way too sweet, the Dark Wheat was OK, but lacked character, the Root Beer was undrinkable!

I've grown tired of the Boston Lager, but like you, it was the brew that opened my eyes to beers beyond BMC. I like the Black Lager and, most of all, the Boston Ale. There's also a Stock Ale, but the Boston Ale is more to my liking.

I was extremely disappointed by this year's batch of their Hefeweizen on tap. Not a drop of cloudiness to it. It had a flavor I've not had in any other wheat beer. I even added a lemon slice to flavor it up some. Truly disappointing.

gaelone said:
I was extremely disappointed by this year's batch of their Hefeweizen on tap. Not a drop of cloudiness to it. It had a flavor I've not had in any other wheat beer. I even added a lemon slice to flavor it up some. Truly disappointing.
Rich...you married yet? I haven't been to Jersey in a while (Alabama 5 times already), but when I do I'll contact you.

I have a bottle of Ginger Mead for your honeymoon...and don't call me "Daddy"!!:D

:off: :D

Not yet, Bill. Ginger mead sounds awesome. Definitely let me know if you have plans to come up this way anytime. Some some better haunts than in Dover.

I had the same experience w/ the hefeweizen, it wasn't like anything I'd tried before, and not in a good way. My guess is that they used something other that German 'hef' yeast. SA may be better than BMC, but there's a lot better out there.

I am drinking a 1995 vintage tonight. I had my first one back in 2001 and I remember it being pretty bad back then. It has now bottle conditioned on its side(cork) for 12 years and is tasting really good. I would not call it a triple bock, but almost like a double or triple strong ale.

I have tried the SA triple bock once. One sip was all I needed. It has been in the fridge now for about a year. I think I may be able to use it as a good wood stain this spring.:(

Ive bought 2 bottles of the Triple Bock now. It is definitely not something to just turn up and see how fast you can find the bottom of the bottle. Ive found it best to serve in a small wine glass and take small sips

Triple bock is a beer you buy as bottle of when a BMC friend leaves a bunch of BMC in your fridge. Half Triple Bock, half BMC is actually pretty good.

Sam Black Lager is my favorite...after they killed Spring Ale. That stuff was excellent. In general tho, I kind of agree with the consensus here that I'm a bit burnt on SA.

Brewno said:
It was like cooking sherry mixed with maple syrup. I had to dump it as much as I hated to get rid of a beer. Not typical of Sam Adams.

Tommy

Reminded me of soy sauce.....I am pretty sure I have never tried to emulate a soy sauce beer = nasty

Never tried the triple bock, but in general I am a sort of a fan of SA. For an American brew that you can get anywhere (not counting micro or smaller breweries that only distribute to certain places) SA is probably one the best. However it doesn't compare to many good microbrews and smaller local breweries imho. I wouldn't even know where to get the triple bock, but I want to try it just so I can comment even though it sounds to me like it has to be horrible.

joshpooh said:
For an American brew that you can get anywhere (not counting micro or smaller breweries that only distribute to certain places) SA is probably one the best. However it doesn't compare to many good microbrews and smaller local breweries imho.
Right on. SA has a place in the upper pantheon of American breweries because they really helped bring good American beer back. They are also readily available almost anywhere, which makes them a really good standby. I've had a few bar-room chats that went something like, "WHAT? You don't even have Sam Adams? WTF?" If they don't even have Sam, they are a lost cause.

All this being said, I do think SA Light is easily the best American Light out there....period. A friend of mine always brings over a 6'r and I am genuinely happy when I find one or two in the fridge the next day.

kb9vzh said:
I think I may be able to use it as a good wood stain this spring.:(

LOL :fro:

I haven't had the triple bock for a number of years however I remember not thinking too favorably of it.

I like their White Ale, their Winter Ale and Winter Lager, as well as Summer Ale...The seasonals they make are excellent

Back