how long to keep cold prior to co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdsarch

Reaction score
I am in somewhat of a rush to produce a beer for next week. I brewed a batch five weeks ago. 3 weeks in primary, one week in secondary, and then i put the secondary in the fridge for a week.

I just racked to the keg. I hit it with co2 to fill the airspace, and then turned off the gas. I am under the impression that this will help with the final sedimentation. I was planning on hitting it with 30 psi for two days starting tomorrow.

Does this sound like a good idea, or can I start the 30 psi now?

Just wondering.

Thanks

I'd put the gas on right now. It won't carb up without the gas!

I don't usually start it at 30 psi and then turn it down, but I have done that when I'm in a hurry. You could do 30 psi at 40 degrees for a couple of days, then purge and see how it is. Then go to serving/dispensing pressure (mine is 12 psi) as soon as it's carbed up well.

I always put my co2 on when I put the keg in the kegerator. I'm not sure sedimentation would play into this.

Thanks Yooper. I was figuring on putting it on the gas to move it along. Normally I set it at the serving pressure and let it sit for two weeks.

Thanks

I usually carb my kegs at 25 psi for 24 hours, then switch to 12 psi (serving pressure). Fully carbed in 72 hours.

Don't forget to vent the keg before switching to the lower pressure!

If you want to rush it - and you can - then put the cornie on it's side, bubble in the CO2, and roll it back and forth. This under about 35 psi. Do this for a couple minutes, lift it up, vent it and repeat. You can carbonate a cornie in an hour.

Have you cut off your dip tube, or does it still go to the bottom of the tank? If you aren't filtering - which is fine - then cut about an inch off the bottom of the dip tube so you don't get the sediment every time.

Also, for carbonating, I have an "out" from the cornelius (the dip tube) hooked up to the CO2. That way it bubbles through the beer instead of filling the headspace. Seems to work quicker.

Just my procedures, not the law! Good luck.

I do 30 psi for two days, then drop it to about 15 psi for the rest of the week. When ready to serve, purge by pulling the release, then bring it back up to 5 to 10 psi for serving.

Seems to work pretty well.

:mug:

Thanks for everyone's help. It seems that people are not concern with letting it sit for a day prior to hitting it with the higher pressure.

Just make sure when you drop it down to serving pressure that you bleed the keg to get actual PSI- otherwise you will have foamy first pours, and more then likely find your gauge lower then what you thought after wards.

Back