Summer ale recipe for party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
I am getting my kegs ready for an upcoming party in late May.. and realize that I do not have a lighter/lower IBU/summer style ale. Therefore, I have put the below recipe together to use some of my SAAZ on hand, along with leftover malt.

Your SUGGESTIONS are greatly appreciated.

---
16 IBU 7° SRM
1.043 OG
1.011 FG
4.2% ABV
----
Ingredients

Grain
1.50 lb Munich
0.25 lb Crystal 40l
1.00 lb Marris Otter
8.00 lb American 2row

Hops
ALL SAAZ:
1.0oz 70-minutes
1.0oz 10-minutes
.50z 0-minutes (dry hop)

dry Nottingham for the yeast.

-----

*** Will the dry hop SAAZ be a turnoff to a general crowd?
*** What temp would you mash at?

THANKS!

I wouldn't dry hop with noble hops. They tend to add grassy notes as a dry hop addition. You'd be better off doing a hops steep with them at flameout if you're after aroma and flavor. Just eliminate your 10 minute addition and add triple that amount at flameout and allow 1/4 of it to steep at 170f for 30 mins, then add the remaining 3/4 and allow it to cool naturally for another 30 mins, then chill it with a wort chiller or ice bath. Since the majority of the base malt is two row, i'd mash at 152f for a minimum of 45 minutes. 70 minutes would be more like it but that's more akin to my setup. That means you'll strike about ten degrees hotter than that. If you wanted a dryer, crisper beer, drop the mash temp to about 145f for the same amount of time.

I also had a bad experience dry hopping with Saaz.

What size batch is this, by the way? Almost 11 lbs grain would get you quite a bit higher than 1.043 I'd think unless it's not 5 gallons.

That too me sounds like its going to be a higher gravity beer than your thinking it'll be, approximately 1.057 starting gravity. Closer to 6.0% abv and really malty sweet. You may want to consider adding an additional oz. of saaz at the boil to have a better balance. Depending on your hops aau's you should be closer to 30IBU's and depending on your mash temp of course.

Latest posts

Back