FG Higher than expected... thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antifreze

Reaction score
Hello All,

My friends and I recently brewed a cherry brown ale. The recipe we used was suppose to be Original Gravity:1.066 and Final Gravity:1.019. After 2 weeks in the primary we took a sample and then we transferred the beer to the secondary and poured in our cherry puree. The problem we are having is that the FG is actually 1.037... We have found out that this was caused because we mashed at too high of a temperature.

We are now torn... do we go with a low-alcohol (3.5%) and possibly really sweet beer? or do we use an amylase enzyme to convert the remaining sugar/carbs to fermentable sugars and risk a beer with a 1.000 FG (super dry) or attempt to pasteurize when we like the FG?

Any advice?

How high a temp did you mash at? That's a pretty big miss to just be temp related.

Not really sure. Yeah that is on the high side and has something to do with it. If it got off to a slow start initially, there is a good chance it simply isn't done fermenting yet.

What was you OG? Did you pitch a starter? If not, how many packs did you use?

And you aren't using a refractometer are you?

adding beano will land you around 1.00 unless you stop it, but adding amylase from a LHBS won't get you that low. theres a few threads going around about people using it with good results

OG was 1.063, we used a starter, and yes we used a refractometer...

OG was 1.063, we used a starter, and yes we used a refractometer...

ahhhhhhh........did you calculate your refractometer reading for fermented beer? Double check with a hydrometer. I think we might have found your problem and it has nothing to do with your beer.

ahhhhhhh........did you calculate your refractometer reading for fermented beer? Double check with a hydrometer.

So I thought that a refractometer measured it perfectly, but it seems like I was wrong...

I used this chart to look up the BRIX equivalent:
http://www.winning-homebrew.com/specific-gravity-to-brix.html

And then used this calculator on it:
http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

This results in:
FG : 1.020
Alc by Vol is 5.7%

Which means we are pretty close to what was expected... Does this sound right?

ahhhhhhh........did you calculate your refractometer reading for fermented beer? Double check with a hydrometer. I think we might have found your problem and it has nothing to do with your beer.

Good call bend - basically consider your refractometer your measurement device for brew day, and your hydrometer your measuring device after fermentation. Reftractometers suck pretty bad at FG readings due to the alc. I would say even with the math they are more of a rough estimation.

I take it you had a reading of ~9.25 on the brix scale. Using your OG and a calculator I am glad to report to you that your current gravity is 1.020. Enjoy your beer!

Oh, you already did too. Yep. That's right.

Feel better now?

Good call bend - basically consider your refractometer your measurement device for brew day, and your hydrometer your measuring device after fermentation. Reftractometers suck pretty bad at FG readings due to the alc. I would say even with the math they are more of a rough estimation.

+1
As soon as alcohol is present a refractometer is only capable of giving a rough idea of the SG, even with the proper calculated corrections. A hydrometer really should be the only thing used for any measurements after fermentation has started.

Yeah, first time I used a refractometer on fermented beer it was 25 points off. Process of elimination.

Back