Impromptu Rye Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

I brewed this last weekend, it's in the fermenter now and happily bubbling and swirling away. Comments are appreciated.

4# 2-row
2# Flaked Rye
10 oz. dark roasted 2-row

Mashed at 155 F for 60 minutes (this fell to about 150 F).

2 oz. Willamette @ 4%AA @60 min
0.5 oz. Willamette @ 4%AA @30 min
0.5 oz. Willamette @ 4%AA @0 min

Wyeast 9093 Imperial Blend yeast, harvested from previous batch.

Threw the mix in the fermenter and topped off to about 4 gallons (a bit less actually). OG was 1.035 or so, I wasn't really worried as I was taking it easy. Smells freaking tasty. I roasted the malt myself, and I'd estimate the SRM of the wort to be about 22, so a bit light for a stout. Still looks delicious and smells great (did I mention the smell?). Next time I'll throw in some black patent, more 2-row and more flaked rye. I really like the way this yeast acted with my imperial stout so I thought I'd try it on a smaller dry stout.

I guess this might qualify as a Roggenbier. It's been almost 4 weeks in the primary, clear enough for such a large percentage of adjunct (rye). I'll throw it in the keg soon.

Finally racked to a keg. After many weeks in the primary, this beer seems to have no ill effects. Cleared as well as can be expected with all that rye, sooo spicy. Nice and tan--warm and flat it was still tasty. I'll post updates after it's carbed up.

As an aside, this isn't a roggen--wrong yeast. It's either a 6D American Rye or it's a specialty beer.

This is an American Rye--delicious. Nice, roasty and spicy from the rye. Very drinkable by the pint or more. Beautiful in the glass, nice head and belgian lace all the way down.

Back