Buckets to Better Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikfire

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting some Better Bottles as my primaries, replacing the buckets I am currently using. I have a lot of reasons to think about it, but most importantly I have the budget right now to buy the BB if I want.

I do 5 gallon batches with a OG of 1.050-1.060 (ales mostly, and no "big" beers yet) and would be purchasing the 6 gal BB. SWMBO allows me to ferment inside when the weather is too cold to use the garage.

If I go with the BB as my primary, do I need to rig a blow off tube? Or can a simple bubble-lock work in my circumstances? Yes, I understand that if I go for big beers, I will need to rig the blow off.

If I do need the blow off tube, how strong is the smell from it? I really would prefer not to make my house smell like a brewery. Which is an odd thing, because my house has become a brewery. But I hope you know what I mean.

Thanks,
Mik

The 6 gal BBs are the way to go in my opinion. As for the blowoff tube, it depends... I did a 10 gal batch of IPA 2 weeks ago with an SG of 1.072, split it into 2 carboys, and pitched a pack of Nottie in each. One fermented "normally" with a 2" or so kreusen, the other one puked all over my carpet with seemingly no end in sight. Same wort, same yeast, same room and temps.... go figure.
Just make sure you own a blowoff tube and have it ready in case things start to get out of hand.
In a closed closet, the smell will be pronounced. In the house, I don't usually smell much unless I am bottling, and even then not so much. Our house is a little over 3k sq ft, so that probably makes a difference as well though.

One drawback to the better bottle is the lack of the 1/2 gallon you get with a carboy. I always do 5.5 gallon batches, and have never needed a blowoff with a 6.5 gallon carboy. I have always needed a blow off tube with the smaller better bottle. I would give mine away if I could find some cheap carboys.

Because each beer may be different you can't be sure that an airlock will be enough without the need for a blowoff.

You could try Foam Control and that should work without the need for a blowoff tube.

About the smell, it shouldn't make a difference whether you have a blow off tube or an airlock. It's the same gases being released.

I am thinking of getting some Better Bottles as my primaries, replacing the buckets I am currently using. I have a lot of reasons to think about it, but most importantly I have the budget right now to buy the BB if I want.

I do 5 gallon batches with a OG of 1.050-1.060 (ales mostly, and no "big" beers yet) and would be purchasing the 6 gal BB. SWMBO allows me to ferment inside when the weather is too cold to use the garage.

If I go with the BB as my primary, do I need to rig a blow off tube? Or can a simple bubble-lock work in my circumstances? Yes, I understand that if I go for big beers, I will need to rig the blow off.

If I do need the blow off tube, how strong is the smell from it? I really would prefer not to make my house smell like a brewery. Which is an odd thing, because my house has become a brewery. But I hope you know what I mean.

Thanks,
Mik

Get the carboy hoods. You can easily affix a blowoff or an airlock to them. They also have the advantage of not creating a crevice between the stopper and inside neck of the bottle where dust will collect and inevitably fall into the bottle when the stopper is removed. Other advantages include stupid easy racking (see the morebeer video) and easily purging and transferring under closed conditions if you have co2 available.

Latest posts

Back