How much of your beer intake is home brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much of the beer you drink is home brew?

• 0 %

• 1-24%

• 25-49%

• 50-74%

• 74%-89%

• 90-99%

• 100%

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I was wondering how much your brewing covers your beer consume.

I finally arrived at a point where my own brewing is supplying me with 90+% of the beer I'm drinking. And I don't think I will go higher than that since I still want to enjoy a professionally brewed beer once in a while. At least to compare and get a better idea of the styles out there.

I have the feeling that many others think like this.

I'm just above 50% I'd guess. I'd probably be lower than that if I didn't brew so much. I love to try commercial beers so I doubt I'll evergo much above that "74%" mark.

I love my beer, but i also like to get a good feel for good examples of different styles.

I'm flooded in homebrew and haven't bought anything in ages. Have only been trying other stuff at bars and since I mostly go to a local taproom I haven't had much exposure recently. I definitely need to "get out" more.

Now that I have my kegerator built, I'm up to 100%. Once I add the other two kegs (just two hooked up in there now, one additional aging), I should be able to maintain that indefinitely. I suppose that if I figured in drinking at a friend's house or bar might alter that a bit.

I enjoy the beer I've made too much to go drop $7 on a six pack of commercial beer, unless there's a style I want to taste before I go to the trouble of brewing it.

Now that I have so much HB (home brew not Hofbräuhaus) to drink, I found how useful the singles (bottles that is) section is in the liquor store. I never really paid attention to this earlier because I thought I wouldn't get a good deal. But now I like to sample different styles and see if there are styles out there that I don't know yet, but like. Whithout having to commit to a 6-pack. That's also where you can get the 0.5l german beer bottles which are nice for bottling.

Kai

I only try other beers when I go out to eat or go by a pint of something I would like to try before I brew.

99% of what I drink at home is mine own. When I go out to eat, I will have drafts of whatever is on tap. I figured 90% HB overall.

I'm probably at 90-95% HB when at home. I'll purchase some brew to see if I like the style to try and make it. Never was so creative in my beer purchases until this hobby. However, in my total consumption I'm more like 75%. Golf, bars, dining drops me down to about 75% HB consumption.

Total beer consumption I'm probably only 30% homebrew. But that's mostly a reflection of the fact that do a lot of social drinking at bars, parties, clubs, meetings, etc. Maybe I'll be a bigshot brewer someday and my beer will be as ubiquitous as Coors so I can drink my own wherever I go. Then I could be 100%! :cool:

The last year was minimal for me in home brewing...to much traveling. This year I plan on it being at least 75%.

90%+ area for me. I've got a few bottles of microbrews in the fridge I'm working on, but I mainly stick to my own stuff.

Kai said:
Now that I have so much HB (home brew not Hofbräuhaus) to drink, I found how useful the singles (bottles that is) section is in the liquor store. I never really paid attention to this earlier because I thought I wouldn't get a good deal. But now I like to sample different styles and see if there are styles out there that I don't know yet, but like. Whithout having to commit to a 6-pack. That's also where you can get the 0.5l german beer bottles which are nice for bottling.

Kai

i do the same thing. i'll pick up a few of the singles for sampling, maybe see what style i want to brew next. or if it's a brew i haven't tried before. the homebrew taps supply me w/ about 60% of my brew. :cool:

I'd probably drink more commercial beer if I could find one that suited my palate. I had no difficulty in finding beers that I liked when I lived in England, but haven't found a commercial beer that I really like since moving to America over 25 years ago. American interpretations of English styles are nothing like what I learned to enjoy (I'm not saying that they are bad; just different), and imports from England are either poor imitations of the real thing, or beers that I never liked anyway.

-a.

We (me & swmbo) go out to many places, so I had to factor that into my equation. Probably half the time is going out and consuming and then the other half is staying home and enjoying my stash.

loop

I am drinking 100% commercial beer. :( My first homebrew batch is in the Primary and I will be changing that percentage to 95% homebrew in about 3 weeks if all goes well. Since I never drink except at home, the 5% will be trying a bottle of something I might want to brew.

the only time I drink store bought beer these days is when I go to a friend's house and don't cart my HB along with me. It's not such a big deal for me though, because these friends are typically drinking really high quality micros and/or imports. One guy ONLY drinks DFH's 90 Minute IPA, and I'll throw back one of those any day of the week.

-walker

Latest posts

Back