Brewing Classic Styles Brown Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petree3

Reaction score
My brown porter I brewed 2 weeks ago is finished and currently cold crashing. It finished at 1.013 and tastes FANTASTIC:ban:! I've got a friend who home across the country and I want him to be able to try this beer. He leaves on Sunday, is there any way I can cold crash and carb this beer up before he leaves? This will be only my second beer I've ever kegged and the last one I think I overcarbed.

inhousebrew said:
I cold crash, then pump the PSI up to 35. Check it in 24 hours and again at 36. Usually good.

Do you shake the keg at that pressure?

If you put it on its side with psi up around 30+ them rock it back and forth you can have it carbed very quickly (minutes, not hours or days), but getting it right is tough and any sediment will be thoroughly mixed up. It will never be as good as a slow proper carb. It takes practice to get it right. The vigor at which you shake, temp, surface area and pressure all effect rate of CO2 absorption, so there is a lot of trail.and ERROR. Not the best choice but it works in a pinch.

Do you shake the keg at that pressure?

Nope, no shaking. Just let her sit for 24 hours and it will be partially carbed at least. Another idea would be to bottle a couple of them and mail them off to your buddy. You can use UPS or Fed Ex for beer.

Back