What yeast for Irish Red Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASuarez

Reaction score
I got the kit from Midwest for the Irish Red Ale and it came with Muntons, which is apparently not very good. So I'm wondering what would be a good yeast to use with this kit. I'm thinking Nottingham or Wyeast 1084. I also have some Wyeast 1272 sitting in the fridge. Feel free to add any other options as well.

The 1272 should do the trick, I believe that the Irish ale yeast gives off more flavors. I used that same one for an irish stout the 1084 which I retain for future brews. I like it a lot, with higher heat levels this will impart a lot of flavors if you like that or not.

I just brewed an Irish Red and I used WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast from White Labs.

Did my first Red Ale with Notty. Did the second with Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast (and a starter). Came out awesome and much better than the first.

I like some of the less "extreme" English yeasts for this one. I haven't been super-happy with the 004; it seems more well-suited to dry stouts.

I got the kit from Midwest for the Irish Red Ale and it came with Muntons, which is apparently not very good. So I'm wondering what would be a good yeast to use with this kit. I'm thinking Nottingham or Wyeast 1084. I also have some Wyeast 1272 sitting in the fridge. Feel free to add any other options as well.

What's wrong with the Muntons? Just wondering.

If I were you I would just use the 1272 and hold on to the packet of dry yeast for a rainy day. They keep for awhile and if a future batch gets stuck good repitching stuff.

Latest posts

Back