aerate the wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjphillybrew

Reaction score
Making a Northern Brewer Hefeweizen. Their directions say to aerate the wort while the directions from my LHBS make no mention of aerating the wort. What the deal?

Thanx!

Yeast like Oxygen when getting started. Do yourself a favor and aerate the wort. You can do this by shaking the container (with a properly sealed lid), stirring vigorously with a spoon, etc. I do it before pitching the yeast. I've read about people doing it after they pitch the yeast.

aerate the wort! you can probably get away with just shaking the hell out of the carboy or bucket just before or just after you pitch your yeast. a better solution is to use an aquarium pump and diffusion stone. even better, an O2 bottle and diffusion stone but for most occasions just shaking will do.

The best for the beginner is to just shake the heck out of the carboy/bucket. Here's an article from the Wyeast Labs site. In it is this table.

Method-------------------DO ppm-------Time
Siphon Spray--------------4 ppm-------0 sec.
Splashing & Shaking--------8 ppm-------40 sec.
Aquarium Pump w/ stone---8 ppm-------5 min
Pure Oxygen w/ stone-----0-26ppm-------60 sec (12ppm)

Shaking give you the most O2 for the shortest amount of time without special equipment.

So, shake, shake, shake. Shake, shake, shake. Shake your carboy. Shake your carboy.

I shake the sh*t out of my wort before pitching the yeast...

And I shake the ever loving hell out of it after pitching the yeast.

What has been working great for me is pouring the wort back and forth from the kettle to my fermenting bucket. It foams up alot, but i can see airlock activity pronto.

Here's my aeration method... has worked well for me thus far:

I drain from my kettle to bottling bucket. I have a valve on my kettle so I connect a length of tubing and then shake it while it's pouring into the bucket. This aerates it a bit.

Then, I place the bottling bucket above the carboy (I use my burner since it's entirely cool by then... but you could use anything... like a chair or whatever). The valve is just barely inside the carboy at this point and then I open the valve partially to let the wort "splatter" into the carboy. This takes a while as the wort doesn't come out very fast, but it aerates the hell out of it, so it's a super easy method. I just set and forget it.

I cool wort to 80ish and by the time this process is complete, I'm right at 70-72.

I usually use a wal-mart metal strainer (not super fine) inside of a funnel. This helps catch some of the leftover nasty hops and other stuff that may make their way out of the kettle following the cold-break. In addition to the strainer and funnel, I always give the caryboy 60 shakes by rocking it on my legs sitting in a chair....much less work than holding it and shaking 5.25 gallons of wort!

Here's my aeration method... has worked well for me thus far:

I drain from my kettle to bottling bucket. I have a valve on my kettle so I connect a length of tubing and then shake it while it's pouring into the bucket. This aerates it a bit.

Then, I place the bottling bucket above the carboy (I use my burner since it's entirely cool by then... but you could use anything... like a chair or whatever). The valve is just barely inside the carboy at this point and then I open the valve partially to let the wort "splatter" into the carboy. This takes a while as the wort doesn't come out very fast, but it aerates the hell out of it, so it's a super easy method. I just set and forget it.

I cool wort to 80ish and by the time this process is complete, I'm right at 70-72.

that's pretty much what I do. a short peice of hose from my kettle valve to the bucket and let er rip, plus it cools down a few degrees also.

I just read that shaking the wort will only get you about 4 ppm of dissolved O2 but it takes more like 10-15 min. An aquarium pump set up will get you about 8 ppm after 15-20 min. The target is 10 ppm which can be accomplished with an O2 bottle, and a diffusion stone, after 30"-1'.

I just read that shaking the wort will only get you about 4 ppm of dissolved O2 but it takes more like 10-15 min. An aquarium pump set up will get you about 8 ppm after 15-20 min. The target is 10 ppm which can be accomplished with an O2 bottle, and a diffusion stone, after 30"-1'.

30 inches to 1 foot....hmm...new aeration technique in the works I see...:ban::ban:

I always aerate but i used a yeast im not use to doing a wheat i used danstar munich yeast and i went to the website and for this yeast at least it states that if you hydrate this particular yeast you dont need to aerate.

I pour from my kettle, through a strainer and into my fermenter. That aerates pretty well. Then (I do partial boils) I aerate my top-up water in the containers by pouring part of it in, capping and shaking it well before adding it. Lastly I give the wort a good stir for several minutes. Then I pitch the yeast. It never fails to take off within 24 hours.

Note that if you use liquid yeast and you make a good starter, aeration becomes much less important. The reason you aerate the wort is because the yeast use oxygen then they multiply. If you make a starter and build up a large population of yeast cells, then you're already there.

Back