Conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmugMug

Reaction score
My HB'ing friend borrowed my auto siphon and bottle brush last week and is now on extended travel. I need to bottle this weekend and I can't get in touch with his wife to get my equipment back. I have a spare bottle brush but not another auto siphon. Hints? Suggestions? Comments? If nothing else, I'll sanitize the siphon tube and fill it with distilled water, but I'd rather not do this if I can help it since there is a high risk of me making a huge mess or contaminating my beer.

My wife suggested I just rinse my mouth thoroughly with hydrogen peroxide and Listerine and do it the old fashioned way. Could this actually work?

Spend another $15 on a new autosyphon; give the reciept to you buddy. He WAS planning to buy one eventually anyway right? He just never got around to it? Alternatively - call him on his cell and tell him to get a hold of his wife to get you your stuff.

-OCD

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone who sells them locally and there isn't enough time to order a new one online (I've been threatened with extreme pain if I don't move the equipment this weekend). My buddy is in Hawaii now and will be in Alaska next week...so calling him is pretty much a no-go since he won't have great cell service. I used to work with him, so I know the locations he's in really don't have reception assuming you're even allowed to use your cell.

So, assuming that I can't get my hands on an auto siphon before this weekend, what would you guys suggest?? I just need to buy 2 of these things and find a new place to keep my fermenters.

My wife suggested I just rinse my mouth thoroughly with hydrogen peroxide and Listerine and do it the old fashioned way. Could this actually work?

I've done that a few times. Never had an infection. But forget the Listerine, whiskey is the fun way. :rockin:

just push the tube back in your hand, make an OK hole with your thumb and forefinger,creating a tight seal with the tube, and suck on the hole. Works like a charm. No mouth on tube action required.

edit: This is using a standard racking cane/tube setup.

Back