blueberry wine problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BendOrnewbie

Reaction score
I strated my blueberry wine in mid-July. Standard beginner recipe with 18 pounds of blueberries in a 6 gallon batch. I did add 5 pounds of huckleberries, 5 bananas, and 3 cans of grape concentrate. Starting sg was 1.086. Fg was .94. I added 2 tsp of acid blend for an initial pH of 3.4.

I transferred from the fermenter to carboy on 8/1, with a rack on 8/18 with the addition of 1/4 tsp kmeta.

I keep a close eye on my carboys and have noticed zero activity since the transfer. I was planning a rack on 11/18 with a kmeta addition. However, I am now seeing a tiny bubble every thirty seconds or so join a few other tiny bubbles in the carboy neck. I am quite sure there is an mlf underway.

The pH is now at 4.0, which obviously is unsettling to me as my notes indicate a pH of 3.7 at the end of fermentation. The mlf would surprise me given the blueberries with higher citric acid and the 71B yeast which would have reduced malic even further. Also, none of the high malic wines that I have started in the last year have the slightest indication of spontaneous mlf.

I take it that an eventual sorbate addition and a sugar or fpack addition is now impossible? The flavor is great for me already, though a bit young tasting obviously. My friends prefer a little sweeter wine which has now became a problem.

I spend a whole lot of time cleaning and sanitizing so I am not pleased with the mlf appearance. Did I just let my pH creep too high added to some breakdown in my sanitation procedure?

I think you need to do a chromatographic test for MLF and not assume that it is taking place. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/downloads/421/malolactic_chromatography_kit.pdf

If there is no lactic acid then no MLF has taken place.

I think - but am not in any way certain - that if CO2 was being expelled then the pH would rise..

If the bubbles are being caused simply by the wine naturally degassing then you could still use sorbate

Latest posts

Back