Irish Stout Summer Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldo711

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 64F
Tasting Notes
A great stout for a hot summer day!
Borrowed this recipe from Craft Beer & Brewing with a few tweaks (http://www.beerandbrewing.com/easy-irish-stout/)

It's an easy drinking stout, perfect for a summer day (especially here in Florida). It has rich flavor from the roasted barley, with a smooth feel from the oats. My LHBS had just received a shipment of Irish pale malt...it's really good stuff if you can get your hands on it.

6 lbs Irish Pale Malt
1 lb Cara-Pils
1 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Flaked Oats

2 oz Willamette, 60 min boil

Mashed at 152F for 60 min
75 min boil

Irish Ale yeast, Wyeast 1084
Fermented for 14 days at 64F

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to say if you can notice a difference in flavor in the finished beer (I'm definitely not BJCP material), but there was a noticeable difference when tasting the malted barley itself. I'm confident the beer will be just as good with American pale malt if that's what you have available.

It's a very tasty stout...recipe as posted above is very "sessionable" but we have also ramped it up to be stronger in ABV and it's just as good.

how long did it take for the flavors to round out? looking for a quick grain to glass stout and I'm thinking this is it

I brewed a batch of this a while back with a couple small changes. Didn't have Irish Pale Malt at the lhbs, so i used Maris Otter instead and bumped it up to 7lbs. I also added 4oz of Roasted Wheat, just because it sounded good at the time. This beer has gotten amazing reviews and many requests for more of it. Even my strictly bud light drinking sister enjoyed this beer.
I'm planning on brewing it again soon, probably upping the oats to 1.5lbs to add a bit more body to it for the winter months.

I finally bottled this up this weekend and took a few sips from my gravity sample. Simply put: Wow.

I was concerned that the roast flavors would be a little over-the-top but it wasn't. Even without bottle-conditioning, warm, and uncarbonated this is a tasty, tasty beer. I made 20 gallons of it for an upcoming party and I know that it is going to be a hit for even the BMC drinkers. Well-balanced and I imagine that after 3 weeks in the bottle it will be almost perfect.

Thanks

@EtchyLives, glad to hear it turned out so well! Especially since you made 20 gallons....

@Darth_Malt, the 4oz of roasted wheat sounds like a nice addition...I'll try that when we brew this again in a few weeks.

Going to try and brew up another batch of this tomorrow. Probably going to up the wheat to 6-8 oz this batch just to get a bit more of the flavor.

how long did it take for the flavors to round out? looking for a quick grain to glass stout and I'm thinking this is it

Mine was pretty smooth in the gravity sample. This is a deceptively smooth recipe (based on the grain bill) and while there is a higher level of roasted flavors I wouldn't consider it unbalanced at all.

Full disclosure: I did a 4 week primary in one 10 gallon batch and a 3 week primary in the other so your results may vary with a shorter primary. However, all the trub had dropped out of suspension at the one week mark but I did not take a gravity or taste sample. Your results may vary on a quicker turn around but 3 weeks in primary after fermenting at 67°F is quite tasty.

Brewed up 8 gallons of this yesterday, again with a few small changes. Grain bill was
12lbs Maris Otter
3lbs Flaked Oats
1.5lbs Roasted Barley
12oz Cara-Pils
12oz Chocolate Wheat

I split it into 3 separate carboys, 2 with British Ale yeast, 1 with London Ale yeast (all White Labs). I'm going to soak some medium toast oak cubes in Jack and age one of the British yeast batches on those for a while.
Looking forward to getting to try 3 different stouts out of one brew session!

Brewed up 8 gallons of this yesterday, again with a few small changes. Grain bill was
12lbs Maris Otter
3lbs Flaked Oats
1.5lbs Roasted Barley
12oz Cara-Pils
12oz Chocolate Wheat

I split it into 3 separate carboys, 2 with British Ale yeast, 1 with London Ale yeast (all White Labs). I'm going to soak some medium toast oak cubes in Jack and age one of the British yeast batches on those for a while.
Looking forward to getting to try 3 different stouts out of one brew session!

do you mind giving some feedback on how each of the three turned out? Thanks!

I actually just tasted these for the first time the other night. The overall recipe is great. Complex roasty, coffee, chocolatey notes. The british yeast is definitely more malt forward, where the london yeast has a bit more hop bitterness coming through and ended up fermenting like .003 lower than the british. The bourbon oaked batch wasn't quite what i was hoping for. But being my first oaked beer, i wasn't expecting perfection. I will add more oak and bourbon to the next batch (not near my notebook and can't remember how much of each i used).
I won't change the recipe at all next time, but i may continue to play with some more yeast options in the future.

Borrowed this recipe from Craft Beer & Brewing with a few tweaks (http://www.beerandbrewing.com/easy-irish-stout/)

It's an easy drinking stout, perfect for a summer day (especially here in Florida). It has rich flavor from the roasted barley, with a smooth feel from the oats. My LHBS had just received a shipment of Irish pale malt...it's really good stuff if you can get your hands on it.

6 lbs Irish Pale Malt
1 lb Cara-Pils
1 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Flaked Oats

2 oz Willamette, 60 min boil

Mashed at 152F for 60 min
75 min boil

Irish Ale yeast, Wyeast 1084
Fermented for 14 days at 64F

I´m going to try it today on a 40 litre batch (10.5 gal).

I also amped it up a bit:
14.8 lbs Pale Malt
2.4 lbs Cara-Pils
2.4 lbs Roasted Barley
2.4 lbs Flaked Oats

I'm going to brew this on the weekend..

I'm just a bit curious as how you got to those numbers though... At 75% efficiency, I had to adjust my recipe to 10.5lb of grain, rather than 9 to get to that OG. And around 2.8 oz of Willamette @ 4.4%AA to get to 40 IBU.

Side note: At 60 mins, would it be any different to use a higher AA hop such as Magnum or Northern Brewer?

Other than that, looking forward to it!

Not sure how we hit 1.050 since BeerSmith estimates it at 1.041. We recently brewed a batch with 8 pounds of Maris Otter, 1.25 each of Carapils, Flaked Oats and Roasted Barley, 2.5 oz of Fuggles (4.7%)...hit the 1.058 estimated by BeerSmith right on the nose.

Brewing this now, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Between the note that 1.050 is high for the ingredients (which I didn't see before I bought the grain) and my only having 6oz of oats on hand when I thought I had more, I'm thinking about adding some DME to give it a little boost.

I'm also using a local imperial malt instead of the Irish one and 0.33oz Magnum in place of one of the ounces of Willamette.

Edit: I didn't make any other additions. I deliberately undershot the volume a little and came out at 1.046, which I'm happy with.

Last edited:
Back