Saison d'Etienne

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3711
Yeast Starter
1 Liter
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no need
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 @ 72-76F
Tasting Notes
Fruity, dry, bready, chewy, citrus . . .just awesome!
68 % 9 lbs. Belgian Pilsner Malt
15 % 2 lbs. Rahr White Wheat Malt
8 % 1 lb. Belgian Candi Syrup, Clear
8 % 1 lb. Flaked Rice
2 % 4 oz. Acidulated Malt

75 min. 1 oz. Mt Hood
10 min. 1 oz. Styrian Goldings
5 min. 1 oz. Crystal

8.8% abv

You can adjust the OG to account for the voraciousness of this 3711 yeast, it's a killer. I will be aiming for an OG of 1.062 for my next 10 gallon batch but I do not mind the higher abv at all.

Single infusion BIAB with a 1.5 qt/lb mash ratio. Mash temp was 153F on my lab thermometer dropping to 151F. I have since purchased a NIST certified HB blue spirit thermometer and it reads three degrees higher so maybe it was 156F. Anyways, I mashed for 60 minutes and started my boil with 105 minutes since my volumes were a little over. Everything went perfect otherwise. I hit 1.070 after cooling to 76F. I pitched my decanted 1 liter starter and things took off. This yeast ate through it all until it reached 1.004 as an FG. After 4 weeks I bottled with 6 ounces of dextrose. Carbed up in less than 1 week. My first all-grain ;) This glass is 8 weeks post brew date.

I would confirm that the taste profile is onto a Colette from Great Divide. It's got that chewy mouth feel and fruitiness I so desire from saisons in that range for the bone dryness, stupid amount of citrus flavor, and bittering of some versions are off-putting to my palette. The hops played an integral part in the nose and taste. Crystal was a good late addition choice for aroma, the Styrian for earthiness, and Mt Hood for the bittering profile. My local water is fairly neutral so I went with a little saurmaltz for this lighter brew. I used the flaked rice to lighten the body as a balance to the mash temp and yeast characteristics plus to bare a close resemblance to what Colette has as attributes. Good lacing and carbonation throughout the glass. I cannot get enough of this and will brew a 10 gallon soon. Unfortunately this brew left me only 7 bottles left since it was a commission by my brother to brew (He paid for the ingredients).

DSC04802.jpg

DSC04803.jpg

DSC04806.jpg

Drink it fresh and it is best that way. Hops die down after a few months so more aroma hops could be better. Maybe another ounce of Crystal at 5min.

djbradle said:
68 % 9 lbs. Belgian Pilsner Malt
15 % 2 lbs. Rahr White Wheat Malt
8 % 1 lb. Belgian Candi Syrup, Clear
8 % 1 lb. Flaked Rice
2 % 4 oz. Acidulated Malt

75 min. 1 oz. Mt Hood
10 min. 1 oz. Styrian Goldings
5 min. 1 oz. Crystal

8.8% abv

You can adjust the OG to account for the voraciousness of this 3711 yeast, it's a killer. I will be aiming for an OG of 1.062 for my next 10 gallon batch but I do not mind the higher abv at all.

Single infusion BIAB with a 1.5 qt/lb mash ratio. Mash temp was 153F on my lab thermometer dropping to 151F. I have since purchased a NIST certified HB blue spirit thermometer and it reads three degrees higher so maybe it was 156F. Anyways, I mashed for 60 minutes and started my boil with 105 minutes since my volumes were a little over. Everything went perfect otherwise. I hit 1.070 after cooling to 76F. I pitched my decanted 1 liter starter and things took off. This yeast ate through it all until it reached 1.004 as an FG. After 4 weeks I bottled with 6 ounces of dextrose. Carbed up in less than 1 week. My first all-grain ;) This glass is 8 weeks post brew date.

I would confirm that the taste profile is onto a Colette from Great Divide. It's got that chewy mouth feel and fruitiness I so desire from saisons in that range for the bone dryness, stupid amount of citrus flavor, and bittering of some versions are off-putting to my palette. The hops played an integral part in the nose and taste. Crystal was a good late addition choice for aroma, the Styrian for earthiness, and Mt Hood for the bittering profile. My local water is fairly neutral so I went with a little saurmaltz for this lighter brew. I used the flaked rice to lighten the body as a balance to the mash temp and yeast characteristics plus to bare a close resemblance to what Colette has as attributes. Good lacing and carbonation throughout the glass. I cannot get enough of this and will brew a 10 gallon soon. Unfortunately this brew left me only 7 bottles left since it was a commission by my brother to brew (He paid for the ingredients).

What was your batch size and boil length?

Back