Honey Orange Ale HELP!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotybrewer52

Reaction score
Hey guys, so i went to my hombrew store because i needed to make some beer. and i didnt have a reciepe on hand. so the guy their and myself put a partial mash reciepe. i have

aprox. 6.5 lbs of LME
1 pound of T-row i believe
1pound of Crystal 60
1oz of saaz hops
1 oz of tettanager hops.

i went out and bought some oranges and 2lbs of honey.

my question is. when should i add my honey. During the boil? or a couple of days after it has started fermenting? and adding the oranges, im going to use 4 oranges. Should i use the zest off them? cut the peel into slices, cut of the bitter white part and use orange part and leave it 5min left in boil and leave while fermenting? Any thoughts, suggestions, and Help would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys, cheers!

There are a few threads on honey in your beer, click through the suggested threads at the bottom of the page and you might find your answers.

I've been using honey for the past few batches, adding it right at flame-out. It does dry the beer out (cleans it up a bit, I think) and ups the ABV, but there is not a large honey presence.

I also use honey to prime my beers at bottling.

From what I understand, to get the honey flavors in the finished product you are better off using honey malt. I've got some fermenting right now, should be ready to bottle in another week or so.

+1 on the honey search, there is a ton of info out there and a myriad of ways to use it and various cautions as well like the thinning and drying out o the beer, but also ways to combat it.

As for the orange you only want the rind with no white pith. You can add it at flameout or as a secondary addition, both work well. IMO I have found you get a lot more orange flavor and aroma in the secondary for about 5 days right before bottling. Be sure to sanitize it I'd you go secondary. You can either soak them in cheap vodka or you can zap them in the microwave for 15 seconds, I've done both and have had no problems

Latest posts

Back