Jester King craft brewery (Austin, TX) has some balls!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Texas we've got to continue to fight the good fight. There are some crazy and archaic laws on the books. I applaud their efforts.

If you were to pick those laws apart,what and why are those laws the way they are?It seems silly, and seems like a corporate bullying that is in control of this? Any knowlegeable people care to explain further? Would like to see more Texas beers, too.

It is good to see somebody taking the initiative. It took a PAC started by the chamber of commerce where I live now, Lubbock, TX, to get a referendum to sell packaged alcohol within the city limits (this was in 2009 mind you.) When it was finally put up to a vote over 2/3's of voters voted in favor. In my opinion the current alcohol laws in Texas are a classic example of tyranny of the minority (the ultra-conservative bible thumpers) and cronyism (the disturbers). My hope is that some (hopefully) objective third party can see it for what it is.

If you were to pick those laws apart,what and why are those laws the way they are?It seems silly, and seems like a corporate bullying that is in control of this? Any knowlegeable people care to explain further? Would like to see more Texas beers, too.

While I am not really knowledgeable about the laws in particular, I have been following the recent push for sale at the brewery. It really boils down to politics. On one hand you have the distributors who will do anything to keep their lock on the alcohol market (which is generally a monopoly within a city or region.) And on the other you have the big guys like AB who want to be treated just like the little guys. (There are several laws that attempt to help the smaller breweries.)

This latest attempt to legislation failed because the distributors wanted a cap on how big a brewery can be and still sell at the brewery. This was mainly because AB has a brewery in Houston. The distributors were afraid that people might start going straight to the brewery to buy their "beer". This was despite the the fact that the bill would have only allowed for beer to be given as a "souvenir" for taking a tour of the brewery (you weren't paying for the beer just an upgraded tour), and AB doesn't even do tours. Well AB didn't like the fact that they were being discriminated against, so they sent their best lobbyists to Austin. Ultimately this bickering led to the bill dying on the floor of the house.

I really like these guys (and their Black Metal Stout). Met them at the North Texas Beer Festival a few months back and had a chance to visit. Seems this brewery was founded by three home brewers and from what I sampled they have some real talent. Distribution is sketchy at best in the Dallas area (they describe their distribution system as "back of a pickup truck") but I support them and buy a bottle whenever I find it.

In my opinion, politicians' number one goal is to get money. I think this theory would likely be one of the pieces of this really bizarre puzzle.

Brent

It will take some time but you can see the walls starting to crack in the U.S. Reason will eventually take over and all of these antiquated laws will be repealed. I'm not just talking about Texas, but in all states.
I know Craft Beer's share of the market is still small but as future generations grow up in family’s where quality and flavor takes precedent over quantity and low price we will see the move toward craft beer and hand crafted products in general accelerate. This in turn will make them HAVE to listen to us.

Good for them!! I hope this starts a trend so that some of these archaic alcohol laws are challenged in court.

I'm hoping to see some progress soon. I'm looking forward to the day I can pick up a growler of their Black Metal Imperial Stout!

It will take some time but you can see the walls starting to crack in the U.S. Reason will eventually take over and all of these antiquated laws will be repealed. I'm not just talking about Texas, but in all states.
I know Craft Beer's share of the market is still small but as future generations grow up in family’s where quality and flavor takes precedent over quantity and low price we will see the move toward craft beer and hand crafted products in general accelerate. This in turn will make them HAVE to listen to us.

This.....

Here in Texas you have several factors converging. The state is incredibly conservative and has a long list of blue laws and anti-alcohol laws. Texas has a history of presence of large breweries (and their distributors) that benefit greatly by dominating the market. The large breweries (specifically BMC) have such a strong hold that they fight at the city level to keep towns dry (except for beer), keep cities from permitting liquor stores, limit what kinds of stores can sell anything, etc. They also have powerful lobby groups at the state level that push for self-beneficial laws. Texas has a very corrupt state government so that makes their job easy.

It's going to take a lot of work to overpower the large breweries but that doesn't make it impossible.

I worked for a Miller distributor here in Dallas for a long time. One of the most frustrating parts of the job was trying to figure out the TABC. Some of the laws on the books are just ridiculous! They mentioned in the write up about the inaccuracy of beer descriptions on labels, that is 100% true; it's crazy!

I think it's great how states like Colorado, Oregon, etc..let breweries distribute their own beer, that's why their are so many great breweries in those areas. Hopefully we can get something done here in TX, unfortunately it will be an uphill battle because the distributors here have a lot of power.

Great work, guys. Slowly but surely, knocking down those ridiculous laws..

There are so many things I am proud of within the great state of Texas, but those 'laws' are embarrassing. What the...I mean, who the.... why?

I will buy their beer every chance I get. Righteous fight fellas.

I can see the 5th Circuit upholding the entire district decision. They will probably have to work on changing the direct distribution rules through the legislature.

This is a great victory in this state. Can't wait to find new beers and correctly labled beer on the shelves. I just dont know why people have to be suck d*cks about these laws, especially lableing. Like Stones vertical series, i think 9-9-9 one was turned away by TABC and didnt come to Texas because it said "beer" on the label and we all know Stone's ABV is never below 5%. It should change one day if we keep putting pressure on them and have the same laws as most state so there will be more breweries here and happier drinkers

Central Market in Plano had a couple cases of each last weekend as well...

Back