Low FG for AHS London Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bredstein

Reaction score
I've just measured the gravity, and it is way lower than expected (or better to say, lower than instructions suggest): instead of 1.012 I have 1.006. The OG was also lower than it had to be - 1.035. I don't care much about alcohol, but I did not want this porter to be so dry. Is there any way to improve the taste, make it more porterish? Should I add more priming sugar when bottling?

Sugar will just dry it out even more, as sugar is pretty much 100% fermentable. Not a lot to do at packaging time. Take good notes and try to make changes for future batches. I would bet that this beer will still be excellent only being .006 off of FG. If the beer is all-grain or partial mash, you can mash higher next time.

Both 1.012 and 1.006 are pretty dry, so you might not even be disappointed with the final product. In my experience there's much more of a difference between, say, 1.015 and 1.021 or 1.021 and 1.027.

Back