Corny keg with soda flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmj1980

Reaction score
Just picked up some corny kegs. What is the best way to get that soda syrup flavor out of the keg. Thanks

+1 on the oxyclean and replacement of the rubber o-rings. If you just oxyclean them the rubber will STILL retain the soda flavor.
-Jefe-

Yeah, I soaked and scrubbed the hell out of my last one, but couldn't get rid of the smell until I replaced the o-rings.

before soaking in oxyclean take apart all the fittings including the relief valve and throw them in the bottom of the keg. Then take all the o-rings you removed and throw them in the trash.

Soak keg and fittings.

Rinse everything.

Put back together with new o-rings and food safe lube.

No more soda flavor.

Also, do a search on here for the McMaster Carr O-ring numbers and order from them. Instead of paying $5 for a set of o-rings per keg at the LHBS, you can order enough o-rings to fix 50 kegs for about the same price.

Thanks for all the help. Picked up oxy clean today. How long should I let it soak in keg.

I'd let it go at least overnight. If the kegs have black handles like mine they tops will also be dirty, so I filled mine up with oxyclean, shook it good, then tipped it upside down in another bucket of oxyclean and let it sit overnight. Honestly the keg itself should come clean fairly quick so you could go quicker, replace the o-rings, and be good to go.

I filled my tub with it when I bought kegs last. I could fully submerge them two at a time in it and let them go for a couple hours before attacking them with a paint scraper and green pad. Got rid of all the stickers and gunk from the outside and all the soda and whatnot from the inside. Oh and yeah take everything apart too and toss the bits in a bowl. The bonus of doing it that way is my tub has never been cleaner than it was when I was done, lol.

Latest posts

Back