Drinking Old Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

Reaction score
A co-worker of mine heard i was a homebrewer and gave me a bunch of bottles that he had left over from his homebrewing days. He quit the looser.
Well one of the bottles was full, he didn't even realize that it was. He says he has no idea what it is and guesses it is probably about 2 or 3 years old. It's in a green grolsch flip top bottle.

Do i dare trying to drink it?

Nothing in there is going to hurt you but the beer might taste bad. Not because it's a few years old but because he might suck at brewing.

Ok i drank it the other night and well it was one of the damn finest beers i have ever had. It sounded like i just un-corked a champagne bottle when i opened it. It was very hoppy, which i was very surprised at how prevalent the hops were considering the age of the beer. It had a very creamy, smoothness to it, although the malt flavoring had a bit of a very slight sourness that had one of the best aftertastes i have ever had from a beer. Kind of makes me want to brew some ipa's and forget about them for 3 years.

Back