is this a stupid idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregR

Reaction score
well with recent talk about freeze concentrated beers. . . brew dogs 80 proof IPA and what not. . . got me thinking about a little experiment I kind of want to try.

anyway. here is the idea. make a knock off of Utopias by brewing a pretty big barley wine with the same/similar flavor profile but around 10-11% ABV and freeze concentrate down to 1/2 the volume giving me more or less around 20% ABV... maybe call it dystopias?

yes? no?

Not a stupid idea, but make sure you brew a clean, well-fermented beer. Every flavor in it will be concentrated, so malty sweetness will become cloying sweetness, and mild crystal character will become strong crystal character. I wouldn't use anything other than 2-row or pale malt in it if I were you, and I'd make sure to control the fermentation very closely, as any off-flavors will also amplify with concentration.

I say give a go. All it will cost you is a little time and a little money. I'd be interested in hearing what you did and how it turned out.

thanks for the suggestions. i'll be sure to keep things updated if i give it a try.

Back