Can I use an 8 gallon carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricK The Red

Reaction score
The lady that runs the winemaking/homebrew shop has an 8gal carboy that she says is too big for her to use. She'll sell it to me for $10. Can I use it as a fermentor for 5 gal batches? Would there be any downside to this?

Buy it. You don't want too much head space in your secondary, but it's fine in your primary. I'd love to come across a deal like that. I've got a 6.5, but I just started making wine and it needs an 8 gallon fermentor.

Yeah, that sounds like a fine deal. A great primary probably without the need for a blow off tube. You want about 5.5 gallons to begin with anyway so that you can get to 5 when bottling\kegging.

Well, I picked it up today for $10. :ban:

I'm not sure if it really is 8 gallons now that I look at it. I'll have to get home from work and fill it with my bucket to see.

Can't wait to put my next brew in it! :mug:

erohver said:
I'm not sure if it really is 8 gallons now that I look at it. I'll have to get home from work and fill it with my bucket to see.

Most carboys have their capacity listed on the bottom.

So make a batch-and-a-half, 7 1/2 gallons. No more work to brew, just a little more to bottle...

Back