Cancelled Brew date/ yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzak09

Reaction score
I made a Starter two days ago with White Labs Clalifornia Ale yeast (WLP001) and I won't be able to brew for another couple of days... Just wondering if anyone has any advice or ideas on what I can do with it. SHould I refridgerate then restart it? or just heat up some more DME and keep it going?

I used 2 cups H2O and Half cup DME boiled originally , didn't see any vigorous Fermentation just about 1/2 an inch of foam on top so I'm pretty sure its viable, just a bit cold....

You won't usually see activity in starters, so don't worry too much about that. As for what to do with it, you can use either of your own ideas. If you've got a really big beer, I'd suggest feeding it every few days. Otherwise, refridgerate it for up to two weeks.

As long as it won't be more than a week or so, put it in the refrigerator, and when you are ready to use it, decant off the starter wort, let it warm up a bit, and pitch the yeast slurry into the beer.

I think Im gonna keep feeding it... I got a 5% abv beer but I figure more yeasties can't really hurt, right?

What kind of hops? bittering or aroma, I'll probably just do an aroma one as it seems to make more sense in my head...

Also I got it in a 1G growler, How would I pitch the cake after duming off the liquid? I'm thinking pouring some of the cooled wort (of the final beer) in there mixing it up and dumping it in the fermenter... is that common practice?

Also, should I put yeast nutrient in the starter? I got a bit to spare...

Don't worry about yeast nutrient. If you wanted to use it in the full batch, that would be fine, but wasting on a starter is pointless. As far as decanting the liquid, you shouldn't have too hard of a time swirling the yeast at the bottom and they'll pour right out. If you think it's going to be a problem, leave a little liquid in the starter when you decant.

And yes, it can hurt using too much yeast. Overpitching is just as bad, IMHO, as underpitching. Check your numbers and pour off what you don't need. I like the suggestion of canning half for later use.

Don't worry about yeast nutrient. If you wanted to use it in the full batch, that would be fine, but wasting on a starter is pointless. As far as decanting the liquid, you shouldn't have too hard of a time swirling the yeast at the bottom and they'll pour right out. If you think it's going to be a problem, leave a little liquid in the starter when you decant.

And yes, it can hurt using too much yeast. Overpitching is just as bad, IMHO, as underpitching. Check your numbers and pour off what you don't need. I like the suggestion of canning half for later use.

Heard the guy from White Labs say to err on the side of under pitching if anything. The yeast are doing good things as they grow in terms of flavor. If you massively over pitch, like pitching on top of an existing yeast cake, you miss out on that. What he said anyhow as I remember it.

Alright so I'm up to a 1L starter (half of a half gallon growler) Is this to0 much to pitch into a 1.051 OG?

I pitch 1L starters for almost all of my beers between 1.060 and 1.080. Anything higher and I'll use more. I think you'll be fine with 1L.

Back