Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
I found this recipe on Gambinus' Mug for an Imperial IPA, and it sounds kind of interesting, but I have a couple questions about it...here's the bill:

9.5 lb. 2-row
1 lb. wheat malt
1 lb. British Munich malt
1 lb. American Victory malt
1 lb. British Crystal 60L
8 oz. Dextrin malt

3 oz. Galena (90 min)
2 oz. Cascade (5 min)
1 oz. Columbus (5 min)

White Labs #WLP001 California Ale Yeast

Batch Size: 5 gal
OG: 1.075
FG: 1.016

First off, neither ProMash or Recipator will even let me put in a 90 minute boil...what's up with that?

But even at sixty minutes, both give me around 170 IBU...isn't that kind of over the top, given that you supposedly can't taste anything over 100 IBU? Is this just wasting hops, or not?

Also, with no hop additions at 15 minutes, and two at five minutes, isn't that going to yield a lot of hop aroma, but no flavor? Would it make more sense to move one of the cascade oz' back to 15 mins?

Help from you hopheads would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

You can do a 90 minute boil on Recipator. Just enter 90 for the boil time and edit the boil times on the IBU section to whatever times you need.

I agree about hopping at 15 minutes.

Baron von BeeGee said:
What version of Promash do you have? I can boil for as long as I need to in mine.
You're right...I was trying to set the time on the hops to 90, before setting the boil time to 90. Must have been something I drank.

Still tho...does 170 IBU seem like a little overkill?

As the reputed threshold for hop saturation on human tastebuds is in the 80-120 IBU range (depending on who you ask), I'd say 170 is a waste of hops, and I really doubt you could put that much acid into solution, anyways. But I've never done an IIPA.

I did one last weekend it had 15lbs of grain and the sg was 1.085 and IBU's were 152. I transfered it yesterday and I think it is going to be the best one I've done yet.

Latest posts

Back