Mr Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkeysammich

Reaction score
I got a Mr. Beer early this month, but I hate beer (get out of here pansey!) Sorry, I just havent found a beer I like, anyway I decided to make mead (NERD) thinking the carbonation is what I don't like about beer.

I wanted something creamy or buttery tasting, so I found a simple mead recipe and switched out the honey with a honey creme syrup. No hops, just water, yeast, and the honey creme syrup.

I was going to let it do it's thing for a month or 2 before I checked it, but seeing as tonight is New Years I figured I'd let my family try it, but it's only been 20 days since I started it.

I tried it just now, and it did exactly what I didn't want it to, it carbonated.

What do I need to do in my next batch to not get carbonation? I've never had mead, and I wanted something still, but now I've got this wine everyone but me will like, well...it tasted ok actually, just the carbonation reminded me of ginger ale.

Carbonation is a product of yeast fermentation. Even wine is slightly carbonated in the early stages, hence using a de-gasser. I haven't made mead before, but it's my understanding that they usually set for a year+. Over the aging process, the mead becomes still as the gas escapes.

BTW, do you drink pop/soda or does the carbonation turn you off?

^^^^^ beat me to it

Carbon dioxide is a product of fermentation. I don't think you can get away from some kind of carbonation. Maybe you can rack it to another container and that will get some of the CO2 out of the solution. Degassing...I've seen that in the wine forums, maybe that is an option?

I think you are confusing carbonation with an active fermentation. To have carbonation in something you would have to bottle or keg to capture the pressure. The bubbles you are having are from fermentation still happening and releasing co2.

Back