Modern Art Sight Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a dumb@ss, but the result was cool. Don't try this at home!

This requires a plastic sight glass, and a busy brew day for best results.

Step 1: Set large (15 gal+) HLT on banjo burner
Step 2: Fill HLT with small amt of water (3 gal)
Step 3: Set flame on burner for a quick heat, and leave in charge of an assistant
Step 4: Get distracted for 15 - 20 minutes (fix some equipment, get lectured by SWMBO), forget that assistant has been enjoying homebrew.
Step 5: Run outside when you hear brew partner yell "I don't think that's supposed to happen."
Step 6: Carefully pull "modern art sight glass" off of HLT with vice grips, and replace with 1/2" threaded plug.

Voila.

image-2487641281.jpg

Pretty sure Bobby M's excellent products are also polycarb and not immune to user stupidity (no offense to OP or Bobby M- nothing is immune to user stupidity)

Step #10: Put a post on HBT, which cascades out of control into an Epic "Next Step" Zombie post. :)

GilaMinumBeer said:
Step 7 order real glass from Bobby Brewer.

Bobby's sight glasses are made f high temp poly carbonate plastic. They do melt. But I reccomemd getting the heat plate he sells for this to prevent it from melts ting as well as stopping boil overs in the sight glass

Latest posts

Back