My copper hopper build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigcorona

Reaction score
I decided to motorize my grain mill. In the process, I also decided to build a new hopper. For the last three years I have been using a hopper made from poster board (heavy paper). It has worked well, but it is time for a change. I am about half way through this build and am very happy on how it is going. Attached are a few pictures.

ForumRunner_20140107_183409.jpg

Laser print picture in negative and iron onto copper.
Etch in ferric chloride, 45 to 60 minutes.
Clean.

ForumRunner_20140107_183442.jpg

Now submerge in liver of sulfur for a couple minutes.

ForumRunner_20140107_183520.jpg

ForumRunner_20140107_183545.jpg

ForumRunner_20140107_183610.jpg

Thanks guys.

I will update when there is more progress. The fun stuff is done. Need to add some trim and do a bunch of soldering.

Some progress today. Soldered the cone and added 1/4 inch copper tube for trim around the top. Solder skills leave a lot to be desired. The trim really adds a lot of stability to the hopper. Used a dremel tool metal saw disk to cut a groove in the tube. Then slid it on the hopper and soldered. It was more difficult than it sounds. Needs some clean up. Still more to do to finish it, but here it is today.

ForumRunner_20140118_180754.jpg

Here it is, finished. Also some pictures of the mill it is going on. Will be brewing next week and will post some pictures of the hopper on the mill along with my motorization conversion. Really want to know how much grain it will hold. Guessing about 20 lbs.

Sent from my Xoom using Home Brew mobile app

1390258328533.jpg

1390258390134.jpg

1390258448629.jpg

1390258490280.jpg

Great work. Wish I knew how to work copper like that.

Don't worry about that. Everything I know about it comes from watching Jim Tom build a still on the Moonshiners show on Discovery. :rockin:

Copper, as it turns out, is pretty forgiving.

Great work. That is a kick-ass looking mill as well. I bet it gets the job done without much effort.

Great work. That is a kick-ass looking mill as well. I bet it gets the job done without much effort.

It does OK, but after grinding over 1,000 lbs by hand I decided to add a motor. Unfortunately, the big cast iron wheel has been replaced with a pully. :(

Here is the completed hopper on the motorized mill. It holds 23 lbs as shown in the pictures below. It was a lot of fun to build, and I am very happy with how it turned out. Works great as well. Thanks for all your kind comments and likes.

This all started when my daughter was home from college at Christmas. I proudly showed her my motorized mill, and commented on how steam punk it looked. She just laughed at the paper hopper. A discussion then ensued on doing something a little more in character for the hopper. This was the result.

1390698887695.jpg

1390698913824.jpg

Steampunk? Hm - you could paint the pulleys something appropriate.

Flat black would be easiest. Hammered bronze might be more interesting. Rustoleum has spray paints with the hammered metal look in various metal tones.

Pulley and belt shields are always a good idea and they could also be decorated

Uhm, what's up with that boot?

Ha, lawn ornament, if I lived in Florida instead of Texas it would have been a pink flamingo. :D

Beautiful! What did you use the copper square for?

It was a test piece. I have not etched copper this way before, so I did everything with that piece before doing the hopper. Helped to get the timing right.

Steampunk? Hm - you could paint the pulleys something appropriate.

Flat black would be easiest. Hammered bronze might be more interesting. Rustoleum has spray paints with the hammered metal look in various metal tones.

Good idea, I will think about that.

Back